Aug 26, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
Expectations are up in Washington this year — they think they can jump from 29 wins to the playoffs.
They will have a healthy (and much wealthier) John Wall at the point, a more experienced Bradley Beal at the two, hopefully a healthy Nene at the five. Martell Webster will be back and there is rookie Otto Porter. Solid role players such as Emeka Okafor, Eric Maynor and Trevor Ariza fill out the roster. There are some solid pieces, but can it all come together?
To make sure it does, Wall is organizing a mini-camp that starts before training camp, the point guard told Ben Standig of CSNWashington.com.
“Working out with the coaches and stuff,” Wall said about his schedule since re-joining teammates for training sessions.” Getting everybody organized, to have like a mini-camp before we start training camp.”
Wall expects the entire roster together following Labor Day. He also anticipates training with former NBA All-Star point guard Gary Payton at some point before the start of camp on September 28.
Wall is the lynchpin in Washington — there are nice players around him but he needs to play like like a former No. 1 pick, like a max player, for the Wizards to reach their goals.
The fact that he is taking on this kind of leadership role is a good start. But he’s going to have to prove it all on the court starting at the end of October.
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 5
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 7
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 14
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 11
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)