Aug 26, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
Around this time of year — late August, early September — is when teams fill out the end of the roster. It’s when Chris Wilcox got a call…
Except will he this year? Last season in Boston he was solid in a limited role — 4.2 points and 3 rebounds a game in about 13.6 minutes a night. He has a PER of 15.3, which is pretty good for a guy in that role.
August is a difficult time for lower-tier free agents because teams are still trying to figure out roster space and flexibility. Also on the market is former Celtic Chris Wilcox, who said he would like to return to Boston, but that’s highly unlikely with the new regime. Wilcox said that recovering from aorta surgery affected him last season and he promised to be in better shape this season
Wilcox missed a chunk of two seasons ago after heart surgery and that still looms over him. It will make teams hesitant but he still should get a look from a team looking to round out its roster with a veteran big who can perform off the bench in a limited role. There are other guys like Drew Gooden and Tyrus Thomas out there on the market, too.
But Wilcox should get a chance, just not with a rebuilding Boston team.
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 1
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 23