Aug 26, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
Around this time of year — late August, early September — is when teams fill out the end of the roster. It’s when Chris Wilcox got a call…
Except will he this year? Last season in Boston he was solid in a limited role — 4.2 points and 3 rebounds a game in about 13.6 minutes a night. He has a PER of 15.3, which is pretty good for a guy in that role.
August is a difficult time for lower-tier free agents because teams are still trying to figure out roster space and flexibility. Also on the market is former Celtic Chris Wilcox, who said he would like to return to Boston, but that’s highly unlikely with the new regime. Wilcox said that recovering from aorta surgery affected him last season and he promised to be in better shape this season
Wilcox missed a chunk of two seasons ago after heart surgery and that still looms over him. It will make teams hesitant but he still should get a look from a team looking to round out its roster with a veteran big who can perform off the bench in a limited role. There are other guys like Drew Gooden and Tyrus Thomas out there on the market, too.
But Wilcox should get a chance, just not with a rebuilding Boston team.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 3
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 20
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 62
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4