Aug 26, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
Around this time of year — late August, early September — is when teams fill out the end of the roster. It’s when Chris Wilcox got a call…
Except will he this year? Last season in Boston he was solid in a limited role — 4.2 points and 3 rebounds a game in about 13.6 minutes a night. He has a PER of 15.3, which is pretty good for a guy in that role.
August is a difficult time for lower-tier free agents because teams are still trying to figure out roster space and flexibility. Also on the market is former Celtic Chris Wilcox, who said he would like to return to Boston, but that’s highly unlikely with the new regime. Wilcox said that recovering from aorta surgery affected him last season and he promised to be in better shape this season
Wilcox missed a chunk of two seasons ago after heart surgery and that still looms over him. It will make teams hesitant but he still should get a look from a team looking to round out its roster with a veteran big who can perform off the bench in a limited role. There are other guys like Drew Gooden and Tyrus Thomas out there on the market, too.
But Wilcox should get a chance, just not with a rebuilding Boston team.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17