Stephen Curry plans to improve defensively next season

Aug 25, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v San Antonio Spurs - Game One Getty Images

Stephen Curry had a monster year for the Warriors offensively, running the point and putting up big scoring numbers while helping to lead his team to the second round of the playoffs.

Next season, he expects his game to improve on the defensive end of the floor.

From Marcus Thompson of the San Jose Mercury News:

Q: Is it possible to be good on defense for an entire season with the offensive load you carry?

A: No excuses. It’s definitely possible. When I’m in the game, I’m not really thinking, ‘I’m tired. Let me milk it on defense.’ I’ve just got to dig deep. That’s what you prepare in the summer for, to battle through fatigue like that. So I think it is possible. I’m not going to be defensive player of the year. But hopefully I can be top 10 (among point guards) and be able to disrupt some of the best point guards in the world.

Q: How does it make you feel when people say you can’t play defense?

A: I don’t really care. I know I can. I know I’m capable of it. I know I’ve shown it. I’m not a liability on the defensive end at all, I don’t think.

Curry is far from a liability defensively, and in fact, his head coach Mark Jackson called him an elite defender as recently as December of last season.

Where Curry needs to improve is really only from an effort standpoint, and he seems to be well aware of that based on his comments. Carrying the load offensively at times can surely be taxing, but that doesn’t mean you can take possessions off on the defensive end of the floor — either consciously or otherwise.

The fact that Curry is focusing on this aspect of his game might be enough for him to see marked improvement in this area next season.

Latest Posts
  1. Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach?

Jul 26, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Byron Scott Byron Scott

Making sure Kobe Bryant is happy in his final two seasons in Los Angeles seems to be at the top of the list.

2. James Harden says he considered himself a role player during days with OKC

Jul 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Harden seems to backtrack a bit on comments Chandler Parsons took offense to.

3. Carmelo Anthony on his free agent decision: ‘It was pretty much always Chicago or New York’

Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v New York Knicks Getty Images

Anthony reportedly strongly considered the Lakers too, but he says that wasn’t really the case.

4. Report: Kevin Johnson no longer part of search for new head of players’ union, vote expected Monday

Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Kevin Johnson

The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.

5. Joakim Noah is happy for LeBron, but hopes Bulls ‘can kick his a– as many times as possible’

Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.

6. Top 10 dunks of Las Vegas Summer League (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.

7. Report: Hawks sign Shelvin Mack to three-year, $7.3 million deal

Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.

8. Report: Will Cherry drawing interest from Cavaliers, Raptors

Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.

9. Tom Thibodeau considers Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson starters

Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt

10. Dirk Nowitzki plays baseball (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki presents a big strike zone.

11. Report: NBA wants to avoid massive salary-cap spike

Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

New TV deal expected to drastically increase revenue

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches