Stephen Curry plans to improve defensively next season

Aug 25, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v San Antonio Spurs - Game One Getty Images

Stephen Curry had a monster year for the Warriors offensively, running the point and putting up big scoring numbers while helping to lead his team to the second round of the playoffs.

Next season, he expects his game to improve on the defensive end of the floor.

From Marcus Thompson of the San Jose Mercury News:

Q: Is it possible to be good on defense for an entire season with the offensive load you carry?

A: No excuses. It’s definitely possible. When I’m in the game, I’m not really thinking, ‘I’m tired. Let me milk it on defense.’ I’ve just got to dig deep. That’s what you prepare in the summer for, to battle through fatigue like that. So I think it is possible. I’m not going to be defensive player of the year. But hopefully I can be top 10 (among point guards) and be able to disrupt some of the best point guards in the world.

Q: How does it make you feel when people say you can’t play defense?

A: I don’t really care. I know I can. I know I’m capable of it. I know I’ve shown it. I’m not a liability on the defensive end at all, I don’t think.

Curry is far from a liability defensively, and in fact, his head coach Mark Jackson called him an elite defender as recently as December of last season.

Where Curry needs to improve is really only from an effort standpoint, and he seems to be well aware of that based on his comments. Carrying the load offensively at times can surely be taxing, but that doesn’t mean you can take possessions off on the defensive end of the floor — either consciously or otherwise.

The fact that Curry is focusing on this aspect of his game might be enough for him to see marked improvement in this area next season.

1. thomaskouns - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM

As someone who lives in San Francisco, I follow the Warriors closely and can say 1) Steph’s defense isn’t as bad a its reputation (can defend pick & roll quit well when he tries, good anticipation & footwork) 2) however, his consistency and strength needs to improve A Lot – especially the consistency part as he defensively takes plays off because he’s so tired from being worn down as he lacks strength.

Don Nelson (one of the more underrated & brilliant talent evaluators in NBA history said three years ago that Curry could be as good as Steve Nash in time. I agree. Like Nash he’s a very hard worker but he could potentially eclipse Nash if he solidified his defense and matched his offense.

2. dysraw1 - Aug 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

you know you don’t really hear guys who already have their coaches confidence talking D. when to me if you can’t stay in front of your man you don’t belong in the league. so big up to Steph. for just being aware

3. onlyavoice - Aug 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I Hope It’s True.
    Not To Many Players Who Can Shoot Well Will Work On The Other End Of Their Game.
    I Figured After Last Seasons Playoffs, He Would Come Out This Season & Do Nothing
    But Ball Hog.

• nogoodtomedead - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I’m not one to usually hammer on people’s grammar on message boards- but do you know how capitalization works?

4. theblatche - Aug 27, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Hahahaha this guy improving defensively guarding against anyone except maybe Jeremy “TheLoser” Lin is just an unrealistic Joke

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches