Aug 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Teams are now in the “who should we get for roster spot 13/14/15” mode, looking at names you know but will have little impact during the season.
Names such as Royal Ivey, who has been in the NBA for nine seasons and spent the last one in Philadelphia, where he averaged 3.2 points a game in the 53 games where he stepped on the court. He shot 42 percent from three and has been over 40 percent three of the last four years. Teams like guys who can space the floor a little.
Ivey has some workouts coming up with Houston and San Antonio, something Rotoworld pointed out. He likely will have more on teams looking to add a little depth.
Both Texas teams where he his working out seem unlikely landing spots for Ivey and this would be more of just a camp invite. Houston has 18 guys being invited to camp and while some of them such as Patrick Beverley and Jordan Henriquez do not have guaranteed contracts some will make the roster there is not a ton or room. Same with the Spurs, who will start Tony Parker at the point then try to figure out the backup minutes between Cory Joseph, Patty Mills and Nando De Colo.
But Ivey and some other guys are getting looks right now for those few spots at the end of the bench.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 6
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 8
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8