Aug 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Teams are now in the “who should we get for roster spot 13/14/15” mode, looking at names you know but will have little impact during the season.
Names such as Royal Ivey, who has been in the NBA for nine seasons and spent the last one in Philadelphia, where he averaged 3.2 points a game in the 53 games where he stepped on the court. He shot 42 percent from three and has been over 40 percent three of the last four years. Teams like guys who can space the floor a little.
Ivey has some workouts coming up with Houston and San Antonio, something Rotoworld pointed out. He likely will have more on teams looking to add a little depth.
Both Texas teams where he his working out seem unlikely landing spots for Ivey and this would be more of just a camp invite. Houston has 18 guys being invited to camp and while some of them such as Patrick Beverley and Jordan Henriquez do not have guaranteed contracts some will make the roster there is not a ton or room. Same with the Spurs, who will start Tony Parker at the point then try to figure out the backup minutes between Cory Joseph, Patty Mills and Nando De Colo.
But Ivey and some other guys are getting looks right now for those few spots at the end of the bench.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11