Aug 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Part of the deal when the NBA owners voted against relocating the Kings to Seattle was that the team would have a new arena built in downtown Sacramento by the 2017 season.
Despite the misguided efforts of Seattle’s Chris Hansen to try to undermine the process, everything appears to be on track at this early stage. And the Kings are moving forward by settling on a lead architect to head up the project.
From the official release, via the Kings’ website:
After a highly competitive process involving some of the top architectural firms in the world, the Sacramento Kings today announced AECOM has been selected as the lead architect for the downtown entertainment and sports complex.
AECOM is renowned for designing some of the most state-of-the-art sports and entertainment venues in the world. AECOM is responsible for the acclaimed London 2012 Olympic Park and is also designing the Rio 2016 Olympic Park. AECOM has served as lead architect of 11 NBA arenas, including the Barclays Center – home of the Brooklyn Nets and the 2012 Sports Business Journal Facility of the Year. Locally, AECOM designed Aggies Stadium at the University of California, Davis.
It’s an exciting time for the Kings and for Sacramento, with new ownership and a new arena scheduled to be built within the next few years. Now if they can only match all of that with a successful product on the court, they just might have something related to actual basketball to get excited about.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48