TMZ report: Lamar Odom has had a drug problem for the last two years

Aug 24, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT

Lamar Odom AP

We’ll begin this by stating the obvious, which is that Lamar Odom played in the NBA for the Clippers last season without incident, and has not failed a league-mandated drug test since 2001.

With that being said, we also cannot ignore the report that is out there.

TMZ, an organization that is admittedly more interested in Odom’s relationship with Khloe Kardashian than they are with his NBA career, is reporting that Odom’s “hardcore drug abuse” is the reason that the marriage between Odom and Kardashian is “in crisis.”

From TMZ’s report:

The marriage of Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom is in crisis, and TMZ has learned … the core reason is hardcore drug abuse.

Multiple sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ … Lamar has had a problem for 2 years. It got so bad, last August Khloe pressured Lamar to go to rehab. Lamar went to a facility in San Diego, but he was so resistant Khloe hired private investigators to secretly stand guard at the rehab place to make sure he didn’t leave. The P.I.s stood guard 24/7.

We’re told the situation has become dire. Sources tell us … within the last 2 days, the entire family staged an intervention, trying to convince Lamar to go back to rehab, but he wouldn’t have any of it.

These are obviously serious allegations, especially where Odom’s NBA career is concerned. But again, he hasn’t failed an NBA drug test, so no matter how credible the sources, it’s all just hearsay to a certain extent.

In case you’re curious, here’s how the league’s drug testing program is laid out, via Larry Coon’s CBA FAQ:

Testing falls into two categories: reasonable cause and random. Reasonable cause testing occurs when the league or players association provides the program’s independent expert with information about a player’s use, possession or distribution of prohibited substances, and the expert believes that reasonable cause exists to order testing. If reasonable cause is found to exist, the player can be tested without notice up to four times in a six week period. Players can be subjected to random testing up to four times during a season and up to two times during an offseason (offseason testing is conducted for SPEDs and diuretics only).

To summarize, players are tested up to six times per year, although the offseason tests are only looking for steroids, masking agents, or performance-enhancing drugs.

Odom is still a free agent, and these allegations may be the primary reason why if the teams that are interested are aware of these alleged issues. The Clippers were the team most recently reported as having interest.

1. saint1997 - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I am not saying this report is true, but the CP3 is right to say the NBA needs to beef up its drug testing policy. It seriously lags behind compared to other sports around the world and though the general consensus is that drugs do not play a big role in the NBA, we just don’t know that to be the case with a testing system as weak as it is.

• smoothaswilkes - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Please provide a link to Paul’s wanting to “beef up” drug testing as what you are saying completely contradicts what is out there so far. Perhaps I missed something but Paul wants to fight the league proposed testing for HGH and I haven’t seen any mention of the other drug testing that has already been negotiated.

Here is the gist:

“Sources tell us … Paul is taking his new role very seriously — and is already talking to players about his agenda, which includes:

– Preparing a battle plan to fight any league proposal for HGH testing
      – Eliminating flopping fines
      – Forbidding any dress code additions/changes”

• spthegr8 - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Hope it’s not true. One of my all time fav Lakers. He should have listened to that Bell Biv Devoe song and I quote ” never trust a big butt and a smile, that girl is poison”!!!! All jokes aside, hope the drug accusations are false. I’d hate to see LO go out like this!!!

• ranfan12 - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:06 AM

LOL, eliminating flopping fines

• bougin89 - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM

“It seriously lags behind compared to other sports around the world and though the general consensus is that drugs do not play a big role in the NBA, we just don’t know that to be the case with a testing system as weak as it is.”

Ummm. What general consensus are you talking about? Also, Chris Paul is trying to challenge the league on HGH testing, not “beef it up”.

Now this article is really old, but I would say this is more of the general consensus by fans than what you stated.

• miamatt - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You are correct, I think most of us believe most NBA players smoke marijuana, at least occasionally (I kinda think that is true for most of the U.S. population age 35 and under, but I digress…)

I think the OP was suggesting that the general consensus is that performance-enhancing drugs don’t play a major role in the NBA. And, whether that consensus is right or wrong, I do believe that is the case.

2. Gordon - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Probably takes drugs to make him forget he married a tranny.

• kelleyishere - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

You must have no heart at all!! please..blamming a drug problem on his wife. low blow!! can’t find any other reason…Hater.. She is no tranny. My heart goes out to both of their families.

3. thebadguyswon - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM

If I married into that family of scumbags, I’d be hitting the drugs hard too. Waking uo next to that cow is reason enough.

• badintent - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:33 AM

mow ! That is utterly absurd.

• genericcommenter - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM

No, udderly.

• badintent - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:13 AM

my bad.but you got my drift.Mooooooooooooooooo !

4. smoothaswilkes - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM

If this is true, I hope that LO gets the help that he needs to overcome this problem. After everything he’s been through in his life it would be a shame to see him go out this way. Nothing but good thoughts going out to one of my favorite players in Lamar.

5. northstarnic - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM

How rich is it that this story comes out the same day the new union chief vows to fight PED/drug testing. Oh the irony. Bunch o clowns.

6. phaden27 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM

It wasn’t enough to taste the rainbow. LO had to see it too.

7. kb2408 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM

If this report is true, my heart goes out to one of my favorite former LAKERS. Basketball is not important at this moment for L.O. Again, IF, this report is true.

• exodusw - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I don’t know if it’s true or not but the other day TMZ was reporting their marriage was in jeopardy because Lamar was cheating. TMZ be so full of it I hardly believe anything they be saying.

8. acdc84 - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:24 AM

We have no way of knowing if there’s any truth to this. I’m sure TMZ has hit on their fair share of “breaking news” stories, but this comes off as poor reporting by PBT absent other sources. If every NBA player was married to a reality “star” as famous as a Kardashian, we’d be seeing dozens of rumor gossip stories daily.

On a separate, more depressing note, it’s sad that my iPad auto-corrected me when I misspelled Kardashian.

• rk5002 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

That is one of the funniest things I’ve heard in a while, even your Ipad knows how to spell Kardashian! Well I guess it is depressing, not that funny but it is LOL

9. BigBeachBall - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:26 AM

lakers got rid of LO for nothing in return. Drugs.

• bougin89 - Aug 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

They received a trade exception that they used to get Steve Nash.

• khadeemw - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

so in other words nothin

10. ji8888 - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:47 AM

This will play into their whole stupid show. Ignore it.

11. stephenolszewski - Aug 24, 2013 at 2:01 AM

If this is true might explain the inconsistent play the past two years

12. thomaskouns - Aug 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM

In fairness to Lamar, he’s battled bipolar disorder most of his life. Many of those afflicted turn to drugs.

Also, Chris Paul wants to eliminate drug testing and the fact Lamar went unelected speaks volumes to the effectiveness or lack thereof of the current NBA testing policy.

• Kurt Helin - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM

CP3 wants to fight HGH testing, which is different. Drug testing is in the CBA, as noted in the post.

• badintent - Aug 26, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Why. ? He gonna something to hide too ?

13. halhiker - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Drug problem? Is he doing crack, H or just a little weed? There’s a HUGE difference between someone smoking some weed (70% of the league probably does) and having a drug problem. How about some specifics? Oh wait. TMZ is a rumor site. They don’t know what specifics are.

• knickshater - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM

70%?! GTFO. You’re telling me if we lined up ten NBA players randomly, 7 of them would be active when it comes to smoking weed?

• 00maltliquor - Aug 25, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Abso-freakin’-lutely!

• paleihe - Aug 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I love in LA, and know a few people that sell green herbs. Yes, 70% of the players smoke, at least.

14. ranfan12 - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Not really into these stupid rumors. I just hope that he’s going to end up with the lakers again, although I doubt it. Never hurts to dream though

15. cathystephanie - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:10 AM

If you want to fool people about how great your marriage isn’t lie and say your husband has been on drugs. BS the cow doesn’t want it to be said it was her fault.

16. manieak - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:58 AM

What does it exactly mean if he’s on hardcore drug abuse?
    A person who conditions, looks fit and plays in the NBA for 14 years couldn’t be on too much “hardcore drug abuse” right?
    I think their just over exaggerating on his use of drugs and my educated guess on what he’s probably using is marijuana. That sounds normal to me…

17. shipdog7 - Aug 24, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Innocent until proven guilty? Look what everyone said about Roger Clemens and Ryan Braun. Okay….one of them lied. Okay…..they both lied and one of them in a court of law had a mistrial. But he is still innocent until proven guilty.

18. meyeshua - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Married to a K, needs drugs and now has a brother in law who can supply him.

19. richyrichinthisbitch - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:04 AM

umm i thought everyone already knew lamar odom smoked weed??

20. jvc856 - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if the Kartrashians leaked this story..

• bougin89 - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM

That was my first thought too. Their TV ratings must be slowing down or something. What a trashy family.

21. jbeagles23 - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Someone check last weeks rating on that pathetic reality show. This seems like tmz which is shown on e! Trying to beef up another show on the network

22. gmsalpha - Aug 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM

This is a new LO, even for him!

23. cantonbound13 - Aug 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM

That would explain why he married a Kardashian.

24. fnc111 - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM

For a guy that could’ve gotten any hottie he wanted, WHY would LO marry the ugliest “woman” on earth???????? Yuck.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 25, 2013 at 3:33 AM

The ugliest woman on Earth? Really? Look, I think that entire family besides the stepdad is complete trash, but ugliest woman on the planet? Yo, she may be glaringly the least attractive of the 3 sisters, but that a s s tho! I could spend a day up in it! LOL

25. hdsnake867 - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I don’t see what the big deal is? If I was married to a Kardashian, I’d be using drugs big time too. Hey Lamar, if you want to get off drugs, first you have to get off that cow Khloe.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview