Aug 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
James Southerland is a 6’8″ forward who averaged 13.3 points per game in his senior year at Syracuse, while knocking down almost 40 percent of his shots from three-point distance.
Southerland went undrafted, though he had an offer from the Spurs to take him late in the second round if he agreed to spend this season playing overseas, instead of earning a salary at the end of the San Antonio bench.
He played for the Sixers at the Orlando Summer League and for the Warriors at the Las Vegas version, but didn’t get a ton of opportunity in terms of minutes in either situation, and his shooting didn’t live up to the numbers he displayed in college.
Players who can shoot with Southerland’s size are going to get multiple looks from NBA teams, however, and he’ll at least get a shot to prove himself beginning with the invite he received to training camp with the Charlotte Bobcats.
Southerland will come to training camp at UNC Asheville on an unguaranteed contract and he’ll have a challenge making the team. The Bobcats have plenty of power forwards. They drafted Cody Zeller fourth overall and re-signed Josh McRoberts. They have Jeff Adrien on an unguaranteed deal and recently signed Anthony Tolliver, also to improve their shooting.
What often happens in training camp is that players who show initiative and work ethic (along with the requisite skill set) get noticed, and even if a spot isn’t necessarily available on the team they’re in camp with, coaches around the league talk, and the hard work can potentially pay off with a chance to ultimately play somewhere else.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30