Aug 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
James Southerland is a 6’8″ forward who averaged 13.3 points per game in his senior year at Syracuse, while knocking down almost 40 percent of his shots from three-point distance.
Southerland went undrafted, though he had an offer from the Spurs to take him late in the second round if he agreed to spend this season playing overseas, instead of earning a salary at the end of the San Antonio bench.
He played for the Sixers at the Orlando Summer League and for the Warriors at the Las Vegas version, but didn’t get a ton of opportunity in terms of minutes in either situation, and his shooting didn’t live up to the numbers he displayed in college.
Players who can shoot with Southerland’s size are going to get multiple looks from NBA teams, however, and he’ll at least get a shot to prove himself beginning with the invite he received to training camp with the Charlotte Bobcats.
Southerland will come to training camp at UNC Asheville on an unguaranteed contract and he’ll have a challenge making the team. The Bobcats have plenty of power forwards. They drafted Cody Zeller fourth overall and re-signed Josh McRoberts. They have Jeff Adrien on an unguaranteed deal and recently signed Anthony Tolliver, also to improve their shooting.
What often happens in training camp is that players who show initiative and work ethic (along with the requisite skill set) get noticed, and even if a spot isn’t necessarily available on the team they’re in camp with, coaches around the league talk, and the hard work can potentially pay off with a chance to ultimately play somewhere else.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 6
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 12
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20