Aug 24, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Listening to Jerry Colangelo and Mike Krzyzewski speak to reporters during USA Basketball’s recent mini-camp in Las Vegas, the one thing that was made clear was that they want guys on the team that want to be there, and who will sacrifice to make playing for the national team a priority rather than treating it like more of a side project.
That’s why George Hill of the Indiana Pacers might be a long shot to make the squad.
Hill was a late addition to the roster after Kawhi Leonard backed out, but later withdrew due to what he referred to as a scheduling conflict at the time. Colangelo said he’d have to wait to talk to Hill to see if his reasons were legit, and as Hill explained later, he didn’t want to bail on his youth basketball camp that had been on the calendar for quite some time.
Hill knew his decision could potentially affect his chances with Team USA, and a month later he stands by that assessment.
“I probably messed up my chances, but if I can impact one kid’s life … that’s way more important than the USA basketball team.” said Hill talking to TMZ Sports at Venice Beach on “Ron Beals Day.”
It’s a crowded pool of players at the moment, and while Hill’s reasons for backing out at the last minute are understandable, he’s likely correct that Colangelo will look unfavorably on his decision.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)