Trip down memory lane: Dr. J visits Rucker Park (VIDEO)

Aug 23, 2013, 7:01 PM EST

Last night was supposed to be one of the biggest nights of the year at famed Rucker Park in Harlem, the finals of the EBC league, but rain forced it inside where Kevin Durant, David Lee and some other NBA names still put on a show.

That had me thinking about the history of Rucker — if you’re going to be a real legend on the streets of New York, you need to prove yourself there (Jordan didn’t play there but he showed up for breakfast once).

Dr. J is a legend. There’s a reason he’s in LeBron’s top three. And he brought his game to Rucker Park and packed the house.

This is from the NBA TV’s documentary “The Doctor,” which if you haven’t seen the whole thing you should. Study your history.

1. starvingardens - Aug 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

One of the G.O.A.T.’s

2. unsportsmenmic - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Reblogged this on UnSportsMenMic and commented:
    The Doctor is born!

3. dacapt704 - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Amazing video! Thanks for posting this Kurt..people need to remember Dr. J and talk about him amongst the greats.

4. badintent - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM

As a Net , he did an exhibition at Roosevelt Field Mall. He was picking guys to take shots and would not pick me because he could see and hear all my friends urging me to do my “funk Dunk” . I’m over it but would love to meet him to tell him that store

5. rolanfarr - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:57 AM

One of my two sports idols growing up. The other being Muhammad Ali. Check out the untold TRUE story of how LeBron James was Christened to be the next “Dr J” when he was three months old. Follow @OfficialDrJ6 on twitter. Take a look at Rolando Pharr on Youtube and Twitter. I’ve taken and passed 3 Polygraphs to support the facts of LeBron’s “Dr J” Christening. Here’s a link to the video called LeBron’s Cosmic Connection. It was made 2 years ago. Watch the NBA TV documentary “The Doctor”. Dr J was the man. He would have been in the top 3 of Sportcenter’s Top 10 every single night that he played a game.
    :http://youtu.be/_nxdl7puIIc

6. money2long - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:20 AM

indeed, that dr. J documentary was nicely made and truly a good watch. made me envision him in the game today. i loved every minute of it.

7. louhudson23 - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Bullets used to host an exhibition double header with the Knicks, Sixers, the Nets and of course the Bullets,mixing up the game matchups each year…….my Dad took my brother and me each year and we always had a blast…the Doctor was in all his Nets glory in those days and truly an awesome figure in red,White and Blue…He seemed to soar out of the Cap Center and the air seemed to go with him,as everybody held their breath as he proceeded to bring down the house,time after time…….great times….

8. rolanfarr - Aug 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My All-time favorite player. If Sportscenter existed… “Dr J” would have been in their top three plays of the night every game he suited up.

9. 618t - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM

No one (including Michael Jordan) in the NBA during docs heyday could guard the great Julius Erving! 30,026 points 10,525 rebounds ( playing small forward and guard at only 6’6) This guy was designed to destroy centers and power forwards and he was only 6’6. From the great George Gervin- Here is my top 5 Kareem, Moses, Magic, Doc and me George Gervin.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

You, George Gervin?

• 618t - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Jimee here you go ” ” maybe that will help!

• jclark11369 - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

No Wilt?

10. jimeejohnson - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I saw the soles of Dr. J’s sneakers on one of his jump shots. It was at the old four thousand seat Commack Arena when the Nets were still ABA. As a kid, you could walk right down to court level, and I did. The Doctor rose up for a jumper and I saw the bottoms of his sneakers. It was sick!

• badintent - Aug 26, 2013 at 3:03 AM

you are really showing your age ! My friend’s mother was the ticket manager for the Nets at that time. !! Long Island rocks

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches