Sixers need to add $10 million in salary to make minimum

Aug 23, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT

Sam Hinkie AP

We talk a lot about the salary cap and luxury tax on this site, the numbers farther up the NBA play ladder, but there is a floor, too — teams need to have at least 90 percent of the salary cap filled, or $52.81 million on the books this season.

With the addition of Tony Wroten, the Sixers have 11 guaranteed contracts (if you count first round picks) totaling $42.8 million — new Sixers GM Sam Hinkie needs to add $10 million in salary by the end of the season to make the minimum. (Salary figures via Sham Sports and Hoopsworld.) If they don’t make the number the penalty is… just having to pay what they are short to the league. So, nothing really.

This is a young team with Evan Turner, Nerlens Noel, Michael Carter Williams, Royce White, and Arnett Moultrie all on their rookie deals. The highest paid Sixer is Thaddeus Young at $8.9 million and only four Sixers make more than the league average (the others are Turner, Spencer Hawes and Jason Richardson).

It’s one of the reasons the Sixers made the Wroten deal, he is owed $1.2 million next season.

It’s just something to watch. The Sixers are rebuilding and are not going to take on long-term contracts for overpaid veterans, but they are going to have to take on some salary somewhere. They can absorb a deal in an unbalanced trade to make the mark; they may take on a contract another team wants to dump.

One way or another Philadelphia has to add $10 million in salary before the season ends. So expect some kind of move.

1. ljl2 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Or they don’t make a move and the money they are under is just split amongst its players… #CBA

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM

And live in a world where Jason Richardson gets a raise on his already-bloated contract?

2. thereekshow - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM

By Royce Young you mean Royce White…come on man

• patfic15 - Aug 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I don’t even believe Kurt watches basketball.

• Kurt Helin - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM

This was fixed, I was IMing with a blogger Royce Young and typoed it.

If you want to be jealous I have a job that pays me to watch a ton of basketball, that’s up to you.

• terrellblowens - Aug 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM

The best defense is thin skin and insulting readers.

• seelyiggy - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

It’s not so much jealousy as expecting professionalism from a major news site, Kurt. How about checking your articles for factual, grammatical, and spelling mistakes before clicking Post. It’s what professional writers do.

3. coryfor3 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Somebody usually misguidedly spends 10 million on Maggette. He’s available.

• bougin89 - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

This.

Fortunately it looks like teams are done overpaying for volume shooters. Your comment is spot on though, Maggette has made slightly over 89 million in his career.

4. doc305 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I would like to submit my application for the available position with the sixers. I’m only 5’9″, but I will cheer on my team and keep the bench warm for my team mates. I am willing to relocate, will go to every practice without complaint( yes, we talkin bout practice!), and can sing the entire Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song verbatim.

• hannsta - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I can do all that better than you!!! I have fully mastered every one of Patty Mill’s towel waves and have a few sweet ones of my own. Plus Im 5’10” so hah! Hire ME!

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Very nice references/jokes in your comment. But you’re seriously underselling what makes you so valuable to the team: every minute you play gets Philly that much closer to Wiggins.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 25, 2013 at 3:55 AM

These 3 above comments are all superior!!^ I thoroughly enjoyed each one. LOL

5. dolphindubs - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I’m pretty sure you could buy Joel Anthony’s contract for a box of headbands for LeBron

6. tannethrill - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM

5’11” here and I’m down to a half a pack a day. No problem with risking myself to take out a knee or two.

7. sgtr0c - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

When the playoff seeding starts to show this up coming season, every gm who’s team has a shot, will have the sixers phone numbers programmed into there iphones. They will be the third team in a very big trade this year. The player they get will be old with a large expireing contract and a boat of prospect/picks. Maybe, at 10 mil under, two big trades. It fits with the direction they seem to going right now. We will see.

8. axelmontoya99 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

A.I?

9. sylpkt - Aug 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

The Thunder will happily trade you Kendrick Perkins and his 2 years and 19m left for a Philly Cheesesteak and a trade exception. He’d be great in the locker room and he can teach Noel how to be scowl like the guy next to him farted.

• patfic15 - Aug 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM

But very very very very very very very very very little else.

10. bellerophon30 - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Better just to split the $10 million among the guys that are already there…….unless they can be a 3rd team facilitator and pick up a 1st round pick (or two) for their trouble. Only two options that make sense.

11. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Find the flashiest scoring European player and offer him $10 million to play one season in the NBA. He’ll likely soak up a ton of possessions, play no defense, sell some jerseys, and you’ll be off the hook next year when he returns to Euroleague.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 25, 2013 at 4:00 AM

I’m pretty sure the Knicks have Andrea Bargnani already. Wait, what? You weren’t talking about him? Oh….

12. kbdubya7788 - Aug 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

J. Richardson is hurt, Wroten avg’s 2.6 ppg turner can’t figure out if he’s a point guard or a shooting guard. I say go get jimmer fredette from sacramento

13. imakcds - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM

the new cba is kind of like playing Monopoly, you can’t do anything unless you pass go or collect some rent. Everybody is looking for the Purple and Light Blue players, and Nobody wants to trade for your utilities or railroads.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches