Aug 23, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
What else was Nicolas Batum going to say? That his team’s best player wants out?
Nicolas Batum was asked about those rumors, speaking with Hoopshype and he denied it, too.
I heard that too and I laughed when I read that. He doesn’t want to get traded, he wants the team to get better. LaMarcus is a winner….
I mean, I know that’s what he wants. We had two bad seasons and missed the playoffs and wants the team to improve. I think he didn’t ask for a trade. He wants to stay and win with the Blazers. He just wants a better team around him so we can get back to the playoffs.
I am sure part of that is true — I have no doubt Aldridge wants the team to win. And the first step in Portland retaining him after this contract is to have a team that can be a playoff threat in place.
Whether that is enough or if he really does want out we will see in time.
Portland is going to be better this season — they won just 33 games last season but are capable of a jump. This roster has better talent on it than 33 wins, and they added some good pieces this off-season such as Robin Lopez (letting Aldridge play his natural four spot), Thomas Robinson and Mo Williams. Is that enough to jump into the playoffs in a deep West?
Batum says it is the team’s goal.
I think the playoffs. We have to try to get a spot and we have the team to do it. Get a good spot and go from there.
Just getting there would be a good first step.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 31
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 19
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 14
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20