Aug 23, 2013, 8:44 AM EST
What else was Nicolas Batum going to say? That his team’s best player wants out?
Nicolas Batum was asked about those rumors, speaking with Hoopshype and he denied it, too.
I heard that too and I laughed when I read that. He doesn’t want to get traded, he wants the team to get better. LaMarcus is a winner….
I mean, I know that’s what he wants. We had two bad seasons and missed the playoffs and wants the team to improve. I think he didn’t ask for a trade. He wants to stay and win with the Blazers. He just wants a better team around him so we can get back to the playoffs.
I am sure part of that is true — I have no doubt Aldridge wants the team to win. And the first step in Portland retaining him after this contract is to have a team that can be a playoff threat in place.
Whether that is enough or if he really does want out we will see in time.
Portland is going to be better this season — they won just 33 games last season but are capable of a jump. This roster has better talent on it than 33 wins, and they added some good pieces this off-season such as Robin Lopez (letting Aldridge play his natural four spot), Thomas Robinson and Mo Williams. Is that enough to jump into the playoffs in a deep West?
Batum says it is the team’s goal.
I think the playoffs. We have to try to get a spot and we have the team to do it. Get a good spot and go from there.
Just getting there would be a good first step.
- What rust? Russell Westbrook returns, puts up 32 points in 24 minutes (VIDEO) 2
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 3
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8