Aug 22, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Dion Waters was part of the attraction at an evening pool party outside Philadelphia that was supposed to have 100 people and be dry (not the pool part), but ended up with more like 700 people, loud music, a lot of drinking and more. You can imagine how well this went over with the neighbors.
• Nicole Richie wanted to learn more about basketball. Who would you ask to learn about the game? Timberwolves forward Lazar Hayward of course? What, you had a better option?
• Corey Maggette continues to study up on landing a front office role when he is done playing.
• Jason Quick of the Oregonian is leaving the Trail Blazers beat, and that is a loss for all of us who follow the game. He was one of the best beat writers out there. Quick talked with Blazers Edge about why he wanted out.
• Interesting interview where BBallBreakdown’s Coach Nick talks to advanced analytics guy Ben Alamar about the impact of the new breed of stats on the game.
• I love how the Ed O’Bannon case has the NCAA clearly scared. Now the NCAA is asking for a 15-month delay in the trial.
• Heidi Ueberroth, President of NBA International, is stepping down at the end of the year. Don’t expect that to change the league’s drive to grow internationally, David Stern is making that his focus when he steps down as commissioner in February. Ueberroth is staying on in a consulting role.
• Finally, Matt Barnes and Snoop Dogg hosted a charity flag football game in Los Angeles last weekend. Here are some highlights.
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 12
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 4
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 12
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 10
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 52