Aug 22, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Who is the fastest player dribbling the ball end to end in the NBA?
These are the guys who are one-man fast breaks and can get your team points in transition, plus are quick in the half court
But who is the fastest? There is no easy metric for this; it’s a bit of an eyeball test. (There are a few numbers out of the draft combine, but it is incomplete and marks the guys at one time early in their career).
Rick Carlisle has called newcomer Monta Ellis the fastest player in basketball, and Mark Cuban echoed that sentiment. “I never thought I’d see somebody make J.J. [Barea] look slow,” Cuban said. “Monta’s a blur. Monta truly is a one-man fast-break.”
Ellis is fast, but he’s not the fastest. This would be my Top 5 (a list that assumes everyone is healthy):
I think a healthy Wall is flat out the fastest, but Westbrook wouldn’t be that far behind. To me they are the fastest, then it gets interesting (and I could be leaving guys off this list). Is Ellis faster than former backcourt mate Jennings? How fast is Bledsoe? I think we’ll see more of him having to be a one-man break this year than he was with the Clippers.
But that’s my list. Sorry Carlisle, we can agree to disagree on this. (Thanks to D.J. Foster for helping come up with that list.)
- Three coaches who could replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 1
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 13
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 43