Aug 22, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
Tony Wroten is a guy whose game has started to mature the more you watched him — he showed flashes at Summer League in Las Vegas this year, putting up some nice games (23 points one night) and setting guys up. But he’s still not an efficient shooter, he still turns the ball over a little too much, and his defense is not going to get him run in Memphis (especially since Mike Conley is the locked in point and they have Jerryd Bayless and Nick Calathes behind him, plus Tony Allen is there).
Now Wroten is going to get the chance to spread his wings in Philadelphia.
The Grizzlies have traded Wroten to Philadelphia for a future second round pick, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. Wroten himself essentially confirmed it.
Wroten is in the second year of his rookie contract (he was taken No. 25 out of Washington) and will make $1.16 million this season, then the Sixers will have team options on him the next two years. Last season he got in just 35 games for the Grizzlies.
With Jrue Holiday gone things are much more open at the point in Philadelphia. First round pick Michael Carter-Williams will get to start but behind him there are minutes to grab if Wroten earns them. Wroten certainly can pass but he needs to make guys respect his shot and not try to thread the needle quite so much (which leads to the turnovers issue).
Not a huge trade for the teams, but one that certainly opens things up for Wroten.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31