Aug 22, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
Tony Wroten is a guy whose game has started to mature the more you watched him — he showed flashes at Summer League in Las Vegas this year, putting up some nice games (23 points one night) and setting guys up. But he’s still not an efficient shooter, he still turns the ball over a little too much, and his defense is not going to get him run in Memphis (especially since Mike Conley is the locked in point and they have Jerryd Bayless and Nick Calathes behind him, plus Tony Allen is there).
Now Wroten is going to get the chance to spread his wings in Philadelphia.
The Grizzlies have traded Wroten to Philadelphia for a future second round pick, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. Wroten himself essentially confirmed it.
Just want to say thank you to ALL the Memphis Grizzlies fans,coaches,etc, I love the city of Memphis. Will always have love for you guys.GnG—
Tony Wroten (@TWroten_LOE) August 22, 2013
Wroten is in the second year of his rookie contract (he was taken No. 25 out of Washington) and will make $1.16 million this season, then the Sixers will have team options on him the next two years. Last season he got in just 35 games for the Grizzlies.
With Jrue Holiday gone things are much more open at the point in Philadelphia. First round pick Michael Carter-Williams will get to start but behind him there are minutes to grab if Wroten earns them. Wroten certainly can pass but he needs to make guys respect his shot and not try to thread the needle quite so much (which leads to the turnovers issue).
Not a huge trade for the teams, but one that certainly opens things up for Wroten.
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 0
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 50
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 56
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46