Aug 22, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
Tony Wroten is a guy whose game has started to mature the more you watched him — he showed flashes at Summer League in Las Vegas this year, putting up some nice games (23 points one night) and setting guys up. But he’s still not an efficient shooter, he still turns the ball over a little too much, and his defense is not going to get him run in Memphis (especially since Mike Conley is the locked in point and they have Jerryd Bayless and Nick Calathes behind him, plus Tony Allen is there).
Now Wroten is going to get the chance to spread his wings in Philadelphia.
The Grizzlies have traded Wroten to Philadelphia for a future second round pick, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. Wroten himself essentially confirmed it.
Just want to say thank you to ALL the Memphis Grizzlies fans,coaches,etc, I love the city of Memphis. Will always have love for you guys.GnG—
Tony Wroten (@TWroten_LOE) August 22, 2013
Wroten is in the second year of his rookie contract (he was taken No. 25 out of Washington) and will make $1.16 million this season, then the Sixers will have team options on him the next two years. Last season he got in just 35 games for the Grizzlies.
With Jrue Holiday gone things are much more open at the point in Philadelphia. First round pick Michael Carter-Williams will get to start but behind him there are minutes to grab if Wroten earns them. Wroten certainly can pass but he needs to make guys respect his shot and not try to thread the needle quite so much (which leads to the turnovers issue).
Not a huge trade for the teams, but one that certainly opens things up for Wroten.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47