Aug 22, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Tony Wroten is a guy whose game has started to mature the more you watched him — he showed flashes at Summer League in Las Vegas this year, putting up some nice games (23 points one night) and setting guys up. But he’s still not an efficient shooter, he still turns the ball over a little too much, and his defense is not going to get him run in Memphis (especially since Mike Conley is the locked in point and they have Jerryd Bayless and Nick Calathes behind him, plus Tony Allen is there).
Now Wroten is going to get the chance to spread his wings in Philadelphia.
The Grizzlies have traded Wroten to Philadelphia for a future second round pick, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. Wroten himself essentially confirmed it.
Wroten is in the second year of his rookie contract (he was taken No. 25 out of Washington) and will make $1.16 million this season, then the Sixers will have team options on him the next two years. Last season he got in just 35 games for the Grizzlies.
With Jrue Holiday gone things are much more open at the point in Philadelphia. First round pick Michael Carter-Williams will get to start but behind him there are minutes to grab if Wroten earns them. Wroten certainly can pass but he needs to make guys respect his shot and not try to thread the needle quite so much (which leads to the turnovers issue).
Not a huge trade for the teams, but one that certainly opens things up for Wroten.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13