Aug 22, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
Utah Jazz radio voice David Locke was doing a Google hangout/chat talking all things Utah when he dropped in an interesting little nugget:
Reserve forward Marvin Williams could be back from his Achilles injury by training camp or early November, a couple weeks into the season.
Williams is in the last year of his contract and will make $7.5 million, and he is going to want to put up numbers and get paid a little. How he does that coming off a severe injury remains to be seen.
The question with Williams is fit —Locke thinks he should be more of an undersized backup four than a three. The problem is floor spacing — he shot 32.5 percent from three last year and nobody is going to follow a stretch four out to the arc who can’t shoot better than that (he shot 38 percent from deep two seasons ago). Last season he grabbed more rebounds and got to the line more in his limited time as a power forward but the shooting held his game back (he shot 42.3 percent overall and doesn’t finish all that well inside). The drop off from Derrick Favors to Williams is pretty steep.
At the three the Jazz can roll out a few guys depending on matchups, but there will be a heavy dose of Gordon Hayward there and again the drop off to Williams is pretty steep. And if he can’t space the floor knocking down shots his value drops fast. Also, he will be slowed defensively a little coming off this injury.
Williams will get a chance this season because the Jazz are not going to be good and Tyrone Corbin is going to be searching for lineups that work (or at least don’t suck). But what Williams does with this chance remains to be seen. He needs to be better than last season.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30