How Gary Payton inspired Allen Iverson’s famous practice rant

Aug 22, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT

Allen Iverson AP

Gary Payton tried to plant a seed — if you get some time off from practice between games it can help you stay healthy during the long grind of an NBA season.

Allan Iverson turned that into a legendary sports sound clip — Iverson’s “practice” rant.

The Hall of Famer Payton was on Fox Sports 1 this week and they were talking about Iverson getting ready to officially retire (even through he hasn’t been in the NBA for three seasons) and Payton told a great story about how the practice rant came about.

“We were out somewhere during a summer, and we were all out having a good time, and we had a little bit too many… and he asked me, he said ‘how do you keep your body is so good of a shape, and don’t get hurt, and stay always on the court?’ And I just told him for real, my coach George Karl didn’t let me practice. So that was it. I said ‘You have to stop practicing.’”

Then after the legendary Iverson practice rant press conference?

“Oh no not this, don’t say it like that. Don’t say it like that Allen.”

Payton said then Sixers coach Larry Brown came up to him after a game and said “look what you created” but Payton tried to explain that’s not exactly what he told Iverson. But what we got was one of the great sound clips of American sports.

<a href=”https://twitter.com/basketballtalk”>Follow @basketballtalk</a>

1. sportsguy88 - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Haha, that’s pretty funny. Good read.

2. fanofevilempire - Aug 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Larry Brown invented Basketball…… and then he ruined it for Knickerbocker fans for about 5 years.
    But we are back baby!

• sportsnut101 - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Enjoy ur 3 yr run of playoffs Happy to see Knicks back in 2nd rd and no further lol

Melo wants more talent around him how bout u take a pay cut buddy from 23 mill to 14 then u will get help

3. BigBeachBall - Aug 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

GP has been waiting a long time to deliver this trash…

4. edwardemanuelson - Aug 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The rant should be played at his HOF induction in… 2 years?

5. unsportsmenmic - Aug 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Reblogged this on UnSportsMenMic and commented:
    Not a game!

6. clevelandschronic2 - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I think i speak for alot of people when i say thank you Gary. You helped allen give us the best press conference ever. I still laugh everytime i watch it. CLASSIC

7. 00maltliquor - Aug 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM

1) Terrell Owens’ tearful, “It’s my team, it’s my quarterback…”
    2) Allen Iverson’s “Practice??”
    3) Jim Mora’s “PLAYOFFS!!??”

But overall interview GOAT= Ron Artest, hands down.

• rushbacker - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I’d add Denny Green. “You wanna crown them?! Then crown their asses!”

• badintent - Aug 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM

It \s not all his fault, Ron suffered from homesickness from NYC after leaving St. John University. Now back in the Big Apple ,look for him to be a fan favorite with his hustle and sign some sponsorships with some new quips from “interviews”

8. stayhigh_247 - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I’m loving Fox Sorts right now!

9. stayhigh_247 - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM

and yes I said sorts, you know what i mean…

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches