Aug 22, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
Gary Payton tried to plant a seed — if you get some time off from practice between games it can help you stay healthy during the long grind of an NBA season.
Allan Iverson turned that into a legendary sports sound clip — Iverson’s “practice” rant.
The Hall of Famer Payton was on Fox Sports 1 this week and they were talking about Iverson getting ready to officially retire (even through he hasn’t been in the NBA for three seasons) and Payton told a great story about how the practice rant came about.
“We were out somewhere during a summer, and we were all out having a good time, and we had a little bit too many… and he asked me, he said ‘how do you keep your body is so good of a shape, and don’t get hurt, and stay always on the court?’ And I just told him for real, my coach George Karl didn’t let me practice. So that was it. I said ‘You have to stop practicing.’”
Then after the legendary Iverson practice rant press conference?
“Oh no not this, don’t say it like that. Don’t say it like that Allen.”
Payton said then Sixers coach Larry Brown came up to him after a game and said “look what you created” but Payton tried to explain that’s not exactly what he told Iverson. But what we got was one of the great sound clips of American sports.
<a href=”https://twitter.com/basketballtalk”>Follow @basketballtalk</a>
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 44
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42