Remembering The Answer: Allen Iverson highlights (VIDEO)

Aug 21, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT

While in practice Allen Iverson has been retired for a few seasons — because NBA teams stopped paying him — he never formally sent in the paperwork. He held out hope.

Now Iverson is going to officially retire. We should use that time to remember a guy who changed the game, so we’re running some of his career highlights. But they don’t seem to do the man justice.

Part of what he brought was on the court where there was no more electric a player in his generation — he was a guy you paid to watch. He was a guy the size of most of the men in the arena but one who played with a fearless style that had him always attacking. There was the wicked crossover and a jumper you had to respect. The result was an NBA MVP, 11 trips to the All-Star Game, 26.7 points, 6.2 assists and 2.2 steals a game. He is a Hall of Fame lock.

Off the court he brought hip hop culture front and center in the sport. He helped make it okay for the players — then and today — to be who they are and show that. Where Michael Jordan worked on keeping a clean image (something corporate America loved) and keeping the public at an arm’s length, Iverson wore who he was on his sleeve. He was raw. He didn’t shy away from controversy. He refused to fit into the mold. He made others want to be like him.

For all those reasons, Iverson changed the game. He will be missed.

1. 8bithero12 - Aug 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Retirement? We talkin’ ’bout retirement?

2. tylerash34 - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

A.I. was a fun player to watch for sure. Always respected how a guy that small could dominate a game. In the back end of the top 10 shooting guards of all-time and as of now I’d put him as a top 50 player of all-time. Heres my 50 greatest nba players of all time as of 2013 season: http://tylerashsportsblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/50-greatest-players-in-nba-history-2013.html

3. ohioteamsusuallysuck - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Iverson>DRose

• pudgalvin - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Probably, but watching that highlight clip, that was the first player in today’s game that A.I. reminded me of. Hopefully Rose can be as good as Iverson was. He led some crap ball teams to the NBA finals, and it’s a shame he never had any halfway decent teammates.

• justaride88 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Thats the thing with Iverson, he couldn’t have any decent teammates, he had to be the one dominating the ball. If he had someone who kind of needs the ball in he’s hands too, he would inevitably get frustrated. He was at he’s best when he ahd only spot up shooters on he’s roster, as he did when he won MVP and went to finals. First Take panel noted that on their show and I can’t argue with that. It worked to some extent in Denver with Melo, because of offensive mindset that Nuggets team had, but it crashed and burned in Detroit, where they had a good team without AI and it wasn’t going to be all about Allen Iverson any more.

4. money2long - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

kanye produced this mix apparently

5. hildezero - Aug 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I can’t believe he actually hasn’t retired. I’ve missed him, because he was the one who brought an entirely new style into the NBA.

• dirtydavis - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Easy there… I thought it was bird and magic or MJ but A.I?

• ranfan12 - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Lol them too

6. captainwisdom8888 - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM

In what is primarily considered a big-man’s game, one can make the argument that Iverson was one of the greatest “pound for pound” players in NBA history. I know we’re not talking about boxing, but you cannot overlook just how fearless and utterly dominant this guy was (while in reality he stood an inch or 2 shorter than his listed 6’0″ height). Despite his stature, he carried himself on the court as if he were the biggest guy around. My infatuation with Michael Jordan as a kid eventually took a backseat to Iverson, and I’ve been a 76ers fan ever since.

7. padraighansen - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Saw the post title on the iPhone and I thought he passed away.

8. bjerkrulez - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Pity that he never swallowed his pride as he aged.. He never wanted to be a bench player. Not being a professional and accepting that his game was on the decline was the nail in the coffin of his NBA career.

If he only followed the examples set by Vince Carter, Grant Hill, and every other veteran that took a back step from being a starter to a role player to help his team win.

But overall, he set the standard for the small guys in basketball. He will be a sure choice in Springfield in 2-3 yrs

9. jhuck92 - Aug 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I hope the Sixers retire his #3. He brought them so much in his time there.

• JMClarkent - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Seriously. He ended a pretty painful parade of bums such as Sharon Wright, Shawn Bradley, Charles “4 Blocks” Smith and the legendary Kenny Payne.

• jhuck92 - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Definitely. The only bona fide star/franchise player the Sixers had before AI was Barkley, and Dr. J before him.

• mydoghasfleez - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Too bad they never had someone like Wilt Chamberlain – right JHICK.

10. theanswer0381 - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

AI is the man. i knew he was done but it sucks. i really hope he can recover from his alcoholism. he’ll always be my fav player

11. dacapt704 - Aug 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Not much to add but I’m just amazed at how a man that small could routinely score 30 in the NBA….leading the league in scoring a few times (can’t recall right now) and actually dominating the game.

Salute A.I.!

12. fm31970 - Aug 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

“While in practice …”

I see what you did there.

13. dirtydavis - Aug 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

This guy is overrated.

• lucifershuttlesworth - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Show some respect you ignorant clown.

• dirtydavis - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Relax it’s not like A.I died

14. pleasefirecam - Aug 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

The Answer has the greatest crossover of all time. I believe he was better at PG than SG, but definitely my favorite player….he didn’t benefit from the calls and cheap stuff MJ and Kobe received time and again. Pound for pound the most fierce and determined player. He had quickness and skills you can’t teach. I was really hoping when Rondo went down with the ACL last year, the Celtics would give AI an invite…

15. tkly18 - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM

As a Laker fan, I will never forget that moment Iverson stepped over my boy Tyrone Lu in game 1 of the finals… salute

16. jssgriffi - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Watching the sixers has not ever been the same with out him. There was nothing like watching A.I. just take control of a game. He was the greatest player I’ve ever seen and there is still no one even close to him in the league right now that plays with the kinda heart and grit that he played with. All sixers fans miss him there will never be another A.I.

• dirtydavis - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I hope there is not A.I the game is fine without him

• mydoghasfleez - Aug 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Amen to that

17. dirtydavis - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Why are you clowns saluting this clown???? A.I doesn’t even crack top 20

• ranfan12 - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Of course not. He’s in the top 10 LOL

18. progress2011 - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM

DEPRIVED !!!

The “Business/ Politics” of basketball has run A LOT of guys outta the league, while they still had A LOT of game left in them (Stephon Marbury, Mahmoud abdul rauf etc).

A.I. is the prime example of a former All Star, ran outta the league, while he still had games left to thrill the fans.

* Shook the Great M.J.
    * Gave Rondo his go-to move – the ball fake behind the back
    * Left COUNTLESS ankles scattered about NBA hardwoods and shame faces
    * Gave fans what they pay for “ENTERTAINMENT”

We can all admit, Jason Kidd was just a shell of himself by the time he retired and should have retired about 3-5 years previous. But he was given the privilege to play until there was nothing left.

I argue, A.I. gave fans and the league so much of himself, it would have been GREAT for him to have been bestowed the same honor that Jason Kidd was given.

Therefore, I feel a bit DEPRIVED !

Thanks for the TRILLS A.I/ THE ANSWER…..at barely 6’0″ and 165lbs he was AMAZING !

• bougin89 - Aug 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I really liked AI but he body was broken down and he basically “quit’ on multiple teams. Why take a flyer on a player that cannot truly commit to a full season? I imagine alcoholism was a huge factor in both reasons I listed above. His life was(is?) spinning out of control.

Again, don’t take me wrong, Iverson in his prime was absolutely awesome to watch. He took over games like few could.

19. dezglobal - Aug 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I honestly thought he retired a few years ago.

20. boyshole25 - Aug 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM

He should’ve never got a chance to play with three felonies in high school he got granted clemency by an old fart governor that was shoring up his reelection up among black voters

21. louhudson23 - Aug 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Limited game…
    unlimited heart…..never worked to get better and never hid the fact…never identified his weaknesses and spent zero time making them go away,simply refused to be seen or thought of as outworking anyone…….which is why was not one of the truly great ones …coulda,shoulda ,woulda……was the best player on some weak teams and he carried them much further than they deserved,but that was really the only environment that his game fit,requiring he have the ball all the time and take all the shots….and he took a ton of shots(and why not,he was the best on the team…a vicious circle indeed…)….heart of a lion….brain and maturity of a twelve year old…..went downhill long before any trade talk,simply because he was a one trick pony,and he never seemed to understand or care about that fact….hard background ,but no shortage of that in the NBA….

• bougin89 - Aug 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

You lost me at limited game. Iverson had incredible handles and his athleticism was bar none. He was also a very gifted passer, something he rarely gets credit for. If you can average 30.7 ppg and 7.9 apg in the same season you definitely have “game”.

I do agree with you though on his work ethic. Much like Shaq, he could have been even better if he were more committed.

22. klownboy - Aug 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

As great as AI was, he should have been MUCH greater. There is no reason why he has ZERO titles. If only he was more receptive to coaching (especially from Larry Brown) and had better discipline, Iverson would have been the greatest to ever play the game.

23. dexterismyhero - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:18 PM

And now he is broke. Talkin bout practice savin yo money!!!

24. kbdubya7788 - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM

A.I. is def a hall of fame lock, he is always going to have haters but that should be a testament to his dominance. The 76ers will probably never have a player that changed the aspect of the game like Iverson. ( they tried to shut his x-over down) Palming rule implemented, (His speed allowed him to penetrate the lane as a 5-10/ 6-0 guard) league changes to accept zone defense. Even the dress code was implemented because of him. Larger than life personality. Freaking love this guy. So long Bubba Chuck thanks for the great seasons you gave our mediocre team !

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches