Aug 21, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
There are a handful of NBA roster spots not filled yet, and that means a few teams still looking at the guys not yet inked somewhere.
Free agent forward James Johnson will attend workouts for the San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and Utah Jazz and is hoping to leave teams impressed, league sources told RealGM.
The 6’9” forward spent last season in Sacramento, where he averaged 5.1 points a game but needed 5.2 shots a game to get there. And that remains the big issue — he is not an efficient scorer. He shoots 55.7 percent in the restricted area, which is not good, and 29.5 percent from the midrange. He can fall in love with longer two pointers and teams will let him take those all night long.
That said he’s just 26 and the former No. 16 pick is athletic. It is possible a workout leads to a camp invite, then he goes from there.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11