Aug 21, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
There are a handful of NBA roster spots not filled yet, and that means a few teams still looking at the guys not yet inked somewhere.
Free agent forward James Johnson will attend workouts for the San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and Utah Jazz and is hoping to leave teams impressed, league sources told RealGM.
The 6’9” forward spent last season in Sacramento, where he averaged 5.1 points a game but needed 5.2 shots a game to get there. And that remains the big issue — he is not an efficient scorer. He shoots 55.7 percent in the restricted area, which is not good, and 29.5 percent from the midrange. He can fall in love with longer two pointers and teams will let him take those all night long.
That said he’s just 26 and the former No. 16 pick is athletic. It is possible a workout leads to a camp invite, then he goes from there.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 12
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30