Aug 21, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
There are a handful of NBA roster spots not filled yet, and that means a few teams still looking at the guys not yet inked somewhere.
Free agent forward James Johnson will attend workouts for the San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and Utah Jazz and is hoping to leave teams impressed, league sources told RealGM.
The 6’9” forward spent last season in Sacramento, where he averaged 5.1 points a game but needed 5.2 shots a game to get there. And that remains the big issue — he is not an efficient scorer. He shoots 55.7 percent in the restricted area, which is not good, and 29.5 percent from the midrange. He can fall in love with longer two pointers and teams will let him take those all night long.
That said he’s just 26 and the former No. 16 pick is athletic. It is possible a workout leads to a camp invite, then he goes from there.
- Blake Griffin with as powerful a putback dunk as you’ll see (VIDEO) 8
- PBT Podcast: What is with the slumps of Miami, Indiana? Plus of course Phil Jackson talk. 0
- Extra Pass: Beyond Phil Jackson, Knicks should see Tim Hardaway as instrumental to their future 7
- Wednesday NBA grades: Brooklyn is all about The Truth 9
- Truth too much for Heat, Brooklyn knocks off Miami 26