Aug 21, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Rick Carlisle wants the Dallas Mavericks to be tougher this season.
The man for the job is… DeJuan Blair?
Coach Rick Carlisle says so, speaking at Blair’s introductory press conference, as reported by ESPNDallas.com.
“DeJuan was a really important acquisition for us because Elton Brand didn’t return,” Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said. “We need that physical (butt)-kicker to put out there and be an enforcer for us.”
Make no mistake, Blair is physical and plays tough inside. I’m not sure I’d go with enforcer, but he’ll bring a physical presence. He and Samuel Dalembert will have to be the tough guys in the paint.
Dallas is counting on Blair to grab boards — which he does well, on his career he has a rebound rate 17.8 percent (percent of rebounds he grabs when on the court) — and play defense. Blair is a good if somewhat undersized defender.
We’ll see if Blair can live up to that standard.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 14
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8