Aug 20, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The focus is on LeBron James. While he will spend the year dodging the question LeBron is fully expected to opt out of his Miami Heat deal to get a longer deal (most likely five years with the Heat, but other fan bases will continue to dream).
But he’s not the only one who can opt out. Chris Bosh can, but it will be interesting to see if he risks it — if he opts out the Heat may well let him go or force him to take a serious pay cut to stay.
Then there is Dwyane Wade.
He’s older (turns 32 this season) and his body is clearly showing some of that age (shock treatments to deal with knee tendonitis), but the “down” Wade still averaged 15.9 points a game in the NBA playoffs, and he’s still one of the faces of the Heat.
Is he going to opt out? He dodged the question speaking to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.
“We’ll see,” Wade, 31, said Friday of the opt-out. “You have to figure out what’s best for yourself and what’s best for the team and then you come up with that answer.”
Wade is set to make $20.2 million next season the $21.7 million the season after. Would he be willing to trim several million off that per year (helping the team against the tax line) for the security of four years? That’s the question.
Miami has to look at their roster — and at the Bulls, Pacers and other teams in the East — and know they need to make some changes to compete for rings in a couple years. Which means freeing up some money to make moves. There are changes coming, the question is what kind.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 37
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85