Aug 20, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The focus is on LeBron James. While he will spend the year dodging the question LeBron is fully expected to opt out of his Miami Heat deal to get a longer deal (most likely five years with the Heat, but other fan bases will continue to dream).
But he’s not the only one who can opt out. Chris Bosh can, but it will be interesting to see if he risks it — if he opts out the Heat may well let him go or force him to take a serious pay cut to stay.
Then there is Dwyane Wade.
He’s older (turns 32 this season) and his body is clearly showing some of that age (shock treatments to deal with knee tendonitis), but the “down” Wade still averaged 15.9 points a game in the NBA playoffs, and he’s still one of the faces of the Heat.
Is he going to opt out? He dodged the question speaking to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.
“We’ll see,” Wade, 31, said Friday of the opt-out. “You have to figure out what’s best for yourself and what’s best for the team and then you come up with that answer.”
Wade is set to make $20.2 million next season the $21.7 million the season after. Would he be willing to trim several million off that per year (helping the team against the tax line) for the security of four years? That’s the question.
Miami has to look at their roster — and at the Bulls, Pacers and other teams in the East — and know they need to make some changes to compete for rings in a couple years. Which means freeing up some money to make moves. There are changes coming, the question is what kind.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 36
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38