Aug 20, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points the way the guys at the Russian River Brewery love their beer…
• We complain about the amount of isolation the Knicks run with Carmelo Anthony, and with reason because their offensive flow can crumble if they do it too much and the Knicks become easier to defend. But some ‘Melo in isolation is a good thing — he’s good at it and because he can score in a variety of ways he forces double teams and adjustments from the defense. Over at Posting and Toasting there is a good, detailed look at where and when the Knicks should isolate Melo.
• Popeye Jones has been hired as a Pacers’ assistant coach.
• Announcers vastly overestimate the idea of momentum in a sports contest.
• Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard was playing video blackjack, hit on 20 and won. It’s better to be lucky than good… Pritchard can tell you all about that.
• Over at Grantland, Zach Lowe had some fun looking at the etymology of all the team names in the NBA. Man there just are a lot of bad fits. But count me in the group that wouldn’t have Jazz that high.
• Hawks big man Al Horford will not suit up for the Dominican Republic national team this summer at the FIBA Americas tournament.
• Doug Overton is the new coach of the Nets’ D-League affiliate, the Springfield Armor.
• Finally, watch high schooler Josh Ruggles hit 135 threes in five minutes.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11