Aug 20, 2013, 1:54 PM EST
One year ago Thomas Robinson was the No. 5 overall pick, now he enters he second NBA season already on his third team.
He was drafted into the mess that was Sacramento, was traded to Houston where he showed some flashes but where he was mostly an asset to be moved in the Rockets’ Dwight Howard quest.
Now he is in Portland, where he’s not going to start at the four — that LaMarcus Aldridge guy is pretty good — but he can be part of an improved bench that pushes the Blazers into playoff contention.
Robinson told KUSports.com (remember he’s a Jayhawk) that he feels a lot more settled now.
“I feel wanted there, which is a good thing,” Robinson said. “They are young, especially with the main core guys, so I will try to go in there, find a spot to help the team. For them to come in and make me feel like it’s home for me is definitely a big deal.”
Robinson got a harsh introduction in his rookie season, both to the NBA game and to the NBA as a business. But if he can mature from that there is a role for him in Portland — he needs to be more physical and a beast on the boards (rebound out of position, not just where you are standing), and he needs to be better on defense. Do that and the minutes and points will come.
Young guys like himself, C.J. McCollum and Meyers Leonard can be part of a young bench unit that brings some energy behind the starters. Combine them with some vets like Mo Williams and Robinson’s stock can go up. He’s not an All-Star in this league, but he can be a good role player if he works on those skills.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 7
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 15
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5