Aug 20, 2013, 1:54 PM EDT
One year ago Thomas Robinson was the No. 5 overall pick, now he enters he second NBA season already on his third team.
He was drafted into the mess that was Sacramento, was traded to Houston where he showed some flashes but where he was mostly an asset to be moved in the Rockets’ Dwight Howard quest.
Now he is in Portland, where he’s not going to start at the four — that LaMarcus Aldridge guy is pretty good — but he can be part of an improved bench that pushes the Blazers into playoff contention.
Robinson told KUSports.com (remember he’s a Jayhawk) that he feels a lot more settled now.
“I feel wanted there, which is a good thing,” Robinson said. “They are young, especially with the main core guys, so I will try to go in there, find a spot to help the team. For them to come in and make me feel like it’s home for me is definitely a big deal.”
Robinson got a harsh introduction in his rookie season, both to the NBA game and to the NBA as a business. But if he can mature from that there is a role for him in Portland — he needs to be more physical and a beast on the boards (rebound out of position, not just where you are standing), and he needs to be better on defense. Do that and the minutes and points will come.
Young guys like himself, C.J. McCollum and Meyers Leonard can be part of a young bench unit that brings some energy behind the starters. Combine them with some vets like Mo Williams and Robinson’s stock can go up. He’s not an All-Star in this league, but he can be a good role player if he works on those skills.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4