Aug 20, 2013, 1:54 PM EST
One year ago Thomas Robinson was the No. 5 overall pick, now he enters he second NBA season already on his third team.
He was drafted into the mess that was Sacramento, was traded to Houston where he showed some flashes but where he was mostly an asset to be moved in the Rockets’ Dwight Howard quest.
Now he is in Portland, where he’s not going to start at the four — that LaMarcus Aldridge guy is pretty good — but he can be part of an improved bench that pushes the Blazers into playoff contention.
Robinson told KUSports.com (remember he’s a Jayhawk) that he feels a lot more settled now.
“I feel wanted there, which is a good thing,” Robinson said. “They are young, especially with the main core guys, so I will try to go in there, find a spot to help the team. For them to come in and make me feel like it’s home for me is definitely a big deal.”
Robinson got a harsh introduction in his rookie season, both to the NBA game and to the NBA as a business. But if he can mature from that there is a role for him in Portland — he needs to be more physical and a beast on the boards (rebound out of position, not just where you are standing), and he needs to be better on defense. Do that and the minutes and points will come.
Young guys like himself, C.J. McCollum and Meyers Leonard can be part of a young bench unit that brings some energy behind the starters. Combine them with some vets like Mo Williams and Robinson’s stock can go up. He’s not an All-Star in this league, but he can be a good role player if he works on those skills.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11