Aug 20, 2013, 12:03 AM EST
We’ve been enjoying a slew of highlight reels from plenty of big-name NBA players who have been participating in Pro-Am leagues around the country this summer.
Hibbert is apparently into more serious matters — like training with Tim Duncan in San Antonio in order to improve his overall game for next season.
Hibbert said in late July that the plan was to work out with Duncan “for a week or two, probably in August.” As expected, he went into Duncan’s training grounds in San Antonio on Monday for a workout with fellow bigs.
How serious is Big Roy about soaking in all he could from Duncan, both on the court and in the weight room? Hibbert brought his strength coach, Mike Robertson, with him.
Hibbert greatly respects Duncan’s game and the two are close friends. They text often throughout the season, with Hibbert trying to absorb as much as he can from the future Hall of Famer.
Hibbert took to Twitter to confirm his attendance for training in San Antonio, while having nothing positive to say about those Pro-Am leagues at the same time.
I seek out the best 2work out w/. No pro ams. In Texas 2work w/ a HOFer. How u gonna get better paying against scrubs pic.twitter.com/gQo2ElvzfU
— Roy Hibbert (@Hoya2aPacer) August 19, 2013
Hibbert followed that up with a thank-you to the Spurs for letting him work out with their players.
It’s great to see a player like Hibbert taking his craft so seriously, but there’s no reason to disparage the Pro-Am games. Besides, no one is inviting centers like Hibbert to these things anyway, considering a highlight reel of blocked shots and fouls isn’t exactly what those summertime games are all about.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 12
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30