Aug 20, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT
We’ve been enjoying a slew of highlight reels from plenty of big-name NBA players who have been participating in Pro-Am leagues around the country this summer.
Hibbert is apparently into more serious matters — like training with Tim Duncan in San Antonio in order to improve his overall game for next season.
Hibbert said in late July that the plan was to work out with Duncan “for a week or two, probably in August.” As expected, he went into Duncan’s training grounds in San Antonio on Monday for a workout with fellow bigs.
How serious is Big Roy about soaking in all he could from Duncan, both on the court and in the weight room? Hibbert brought his strength coach, Mike Robertson, with him.
Hibbert greatly respects Duncan’s game and the two are close friends. They text often throughout the season, with Hibbert trying to absorb as much as he can from the future Hall of Famer.
Hibbert took to Twitter to confirm his attendance for training in San Antonio, while having nothing positive to say about those Pro-Am leagues at the same time.
I seek out the best 2work out w/. No pro ams. In Texas 2work w/ a HOFer. How u gonna get better paying against scrubs pic.twitter.com/gQo2ElvzfU
— Roy Hibbert (@Hoya2aPacer) August 19, 2013
Hibbert followed that up with a thank-you to the Spurs for letting him work out with their players.
It’s great to see a player like Hibbert taking his craft so seriously, but there’s no reason to disparage the Pro-Am games. Besides, no one is inviting centers like Hibbert to these things anyway, considering a highlight reel of blocked shots and fouls isn’t exactly what those summertime games are all about.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16