Aug 20, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Getting pneumonia in the middle of summer has to just suck.
But it’s especially bad news for the Italian National Team, which just lost a floor spacing big — something that really matters in the international game.
Andrea Bargnani is out for Eurobasket — the European championships that start in two weeks — because of pneumonia, reports Sportando. While Bargnani is recovering from the illness he’s not going to be right in time to join the team as it heads to Slovenia for the tournament.
If you are not familiar, pneumonia is an infection of the lungs that does improve with treatment but can tend to linger.
Don’t expect it to linger into training camp, Bargnani should be good to go when the Knicks are in five weeks. Just not when the Italian team (already well into training) tips off for games in a couple weeks.
The Knicks traded for Bargnani and his oversized contract to bring them a floor-spacing four. Of course, in part due to injuries he shot just 30.9 percent from three last season and 29.6 percent the season before that. He doesn’t play much defense or get you rebounds, so New York needs him to get healthy and find that outside shot.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 3
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 16
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12