Aug 20, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Getting pneumonia in the middle of summer has to just suck.
But it’s especially bad news for the Italian National Team, which just lost a floor spacing big — something that really matters in the international game.
Andrea Bargnani is out for Eurobasket — the European championships that start in two weeks — because of pneumonia, reports Sportando. While Bargnani is recovering from the illness he’s not going to be right in time to join the team as it heads to Slovenia for the tournament.
If you are not familiar, pneumonia is an infection of the lungs that does improve with treatment but can tend to linger.
Don’t expect it to linger into training camp, Bargnani should be good to go when the Knicks are in five weeks. Just not when the Italian team (already well into training) tips off for games in a couple weeks.
The Knicks traded for Bargnani and his oversized contract to bring them a floor-spacing four. Of course, in part due to injuries he shot just 30.9 percent from three last season and 29.6 percent the season before that. He doesn’t play much defense or get you rebounds, so New York needs him to get healthy and find that outside shot.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 10
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32