Aug 20, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Getting pneumonia in the middle of summer has to just suck.
But it’s especially bad news for the Italian National Team, which just lost a floor spacing big — something that really matters in the international game.
Andrea Bargnani is out for Eurobasket — the European championships that start in two weeks — because of pneumonia, reports Sportando. While Bargnani is recovering from the illness he’s not going to be right in time to join the team as it heads to Slovenia for the tournament.
If you are not familiar, pneumonia is an infection of the lungs that does improve with treatment but can tend to linger.
Don’t expect it to linger into training camp, Bargnani should be good to go when the Knicks are in five weeks. Just not when the Italian team (already well into training) tips off for games in a couple weeks.
The Knicks traded for Bargnani and his oversized contract to bring them a floor-spacing four. Of course, in part due to injuries he shot just 30.9 percent from three last season and 29.6 percent the season before that. He doesn’t play much defense or get you rebounds, so New York needs him to get healthy and find that outside shot.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42