Aug 20, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Getting pneumonia in the middle of summer has to just suck.
But it’s especially bad news for the Italian National Team, which just lost a floor spacing big — something that really matters in the international game.
Andrea Bargnani is out for Eurobasket — the European championships that start in two weeks — because of pneumonia, reports Sportando. While Bargnani is recovering from the illness he’s not going to be right in time to join the team as it heads to Slovenia for the tournament.
If you are not familiar, pneumonia is an infection of the lungs that does improve with treatment but can tend to linger.
Don’t expect it to linger into training camp, Bargnani should be good to go when the Knicks are in five weeks. Just not when the Italian team (already well into training) tips off for games in a couple weeks.
The Knicks traded for Bargnani and his oversized contract to bring them a floor-spacing four. Of course, in part due to injuries he shot just 30.9 percent from three last season and 29.6 percent the season before that. He doesn’t play much defense or get you rebounds, so New York needs him to get healthy and find that outside shot.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 0
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 12
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11