Aug 20, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
You can see how this happens: LeBron James knows he is running late to the Justin Timberlake/Jay-Z concert he really wants to see (and most likely did not pay a penny for the amazing tickets he’s got) so he — or his guy — asks a policeman for a little help. And because he’s LeBron in Miami guys are only too happy to help — he’s the King. And suddenly LeBron has a police escort all the way to the stadium.
Which must feel pretty cool, I’ll admit. So LeBron films it and puts it up on Instagram.
Where a bunch of people watch it, including people in Miami saying “Why are the police giving him an escort down the wrong side of the street to the concert exactly?”
All of which led up to this statement from the Miami Dade Police Department Monday.
“It has been brought to our attention that a video was posted on the Internet by LeBron James… shows him being escorted onto the property of Sunlife Stadium for a concert on Friday. Upon further investigation, it has been confirmed that the Miami-Dade Police Department did facilitate Mr. James from one intersection to another, in the adjacent area of the stadium. This was not a scheduled escort and although all safety precautions were taken, the department has identified these actions as a violation of departmental policy. The Miami-Dade Police Department will continue to look into the matter.”
Somebody’s in trouble.
Most likely there will be a slap on the wrist or two, a couple guys get a mark on their permanent record, and then it all blows over. And next time LeBron gets an escort from police, he knows not to post the video. No matter how cool it is.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)