Aug 20, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
You can see how this happens: LeBron James knows he is running late to the Justin Timberlake/Jay-Z concert he really wants to see (and most likely did not pay a penny for the amazing tickets he’s got) so he — or his guy — asks a policeman for a little help. And because he’s LeBron in Miami guys are only too happy to help — he’s the King. And suddenly LeBron has a police escort all the way to the stadium.
Which must feel pretty cool, I’ll admit. So LeBron films it and puts it up on Instagram.
Where a bunch of people watch it, including people in Miami saying “Why are the police giving him an escort down the wrong side of the street to the concert exactly?”
All of which led up to this statement from the Miami Dade Police Department Monday.
“It has been brought to our attention that a video was posted on the Internet by LeBron James… shows him being escorted onto the property of Sunlife Stadium for a concert on Friday. Upon further investigation, it has been confirmed that the Miami-Dade Police Department did facilitate Mr. James from one intersection to another, in the adjacent area of the stadium. This was not a scheduled escort and although all safety precautions were taken, the department has identified these actions as a violation of departmental policy. The Miami-Dade Police Department will continue to look into the matter.”
Somebody’s in trouble.
Most likely there will be a slap on the wrist or two, a couple guys get a mark on their permanent record, and then it all blows over. And next time LeBron gets an escort from police, he knows not to post the video. No matter how cool it is.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3