Aug 20, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Jimmer Fredette is not going to get a lot of court time in Sacramento this season. Fredette insists he is a point guard but he is at best third in that rotation behind Greivis Vasquez and Isaiah Thomas, plus rookie Ray McCallum looked good in Summer League and could land some minutes at the one. If you want to make Fredette a two guard there is Ben McLemore, Marcus Thornton and John Salmons ahead of him.
Does that put Fredette on the trade block?
It’s time for the NBA’s semantics game of “we’re not shopping but we’re listening” with Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee…
“The Kings are not actively shopping Jimmer, but they have had calls and apparently will move him if the deals makes sense,” said Jones…
“The Kings still believe Jimmer has value to teams in the league,” Jones said. As the February trade deadline approaches, that’s when the Kings will likely push harder to move him — hopefully to a team that actually has an idea of how to use him. Then we’ll find out whether or not Jimmer can contribute meaningful minutes for an NBA team.
This is nothing new, it’s just a question of what other teams will give up. Which is not much.
Fredette can shoot the rock from deep — he hit 41.7 from beyond the arc last season — which is why some rebuilding team could give him a shot. His regular shooting percentage improved as well (42.1 percent) but the fact remains that against NBA defenders he doesn’t really create his own shot that well and taking contested shots is not going to win you points with NBA front office guys.
Fredette took most of his shots last season as the ball handler in the pick-and-roll and shot a respectable 46.4 percent (again, because he’s good at off-balance and contested shots), but his future remains as a catch-and-shoot guy and he shot just 40 percent doing that last season (but 38.1 percent from three). (Stats via Synergy Sports.)
If you were looking for a guy likely traded during camp or by the deadline, I’d move him into your “pretty darn likely” category.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31