Ginobili says injuries wore him down, was like playing with parking brake on

Aug 20, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT

Miami Heat v San Antonio Spurs - Game 5 Getty Images

Manu Ginobili looked tired by the end of Game 7 of the NBA Finals — that was game 103 in the Spurs season and while it was just 81 for Ginobili combine that with his work to get and stay healthy and that’s a grind.

During those Finals Ginobili artfully Eurostepped around questions of his future, but when the season ended it only took a few days for him to decide to return to San Antonio.

In an interview with Argentinean publication La Nacióntranslated over at Pounding the Rock — Ginobili is honest about the grind and how it had his considering retirement.

“By the end of the season–and I mean the regular season and not the playoffs– I thought about it a lot. I was so tired of it. I hadn’t suffered a muscle strain in my whole life and I went through three in four months. I felt negative, fed up. And I thought about retiring. I hadn’t come close to making up my mind but I thought it was something I had to discuss with my wife, “what if…?” She told me that it was my decision and she was fine either way. But when I recovered physically I started to feel better about it all. When the season ended I grieved for 48, 72 hours and I didn’t feel retired. I knew something was missing, that I still wanted to play….

“The physical part. Having to keep rehabilitating and getting in shape after injuries. Having to play with the parking break on because I’m coming back from a muscle strain. That wore me out and it was hard. I have a great time when I’m healthy and playing, I feel lucky playing with the team and coaching staff I play for. But the physical problems drained me.”

Ginobili reached a two-year deal with the Spurs for $14 million. He will be 36 and 37 those two seasons, which means a lot more rehabilitation and some injury recovery. Ginobili averaged 11.8 points a game last season — his lowest average since his rookie year — and shot just 42.5 percent. He wasn’t the same player and while the price is better for San Antonio you have to wonder how much he can give.

At the end of those two seasons expect him to retire (and Tim Duncan and who knows who else from that core). But Ginobili wasn’t ready yet.

Latest Posts
  1. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

2. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

3. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

4. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

5. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

6. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

7. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

8. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

9. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

10. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

11. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

12. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

13. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

14. Report: Knicks, Lakers, Wizards still interested in Kevin Seraphin

Jul 28, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The Lakers and Knicks don’t make a ton of sense for him.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches