Wade teaming up with trainer Tim Grover again, wants you to know he’s not done

Aug 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

350x Getty Images

We’ve said it before and I imagine we will say it many more times: If the Miami Heat are going to three-peat they are going to need to a healthy and improved Dwyane Wade this season and in the playoffs. They are going to need some other things as well, but Wade is a huge key.

He knows it. And he’s taking steps to get there.

We told you he was getting back into workouts now that he has an shock therapy on the tendonitis in his knees, now we learn that those workouts are with his former Chicago trainer Tim Grover. You know, Michael Jordan’s trainer. This from Brian Windhorst at ESPN’s Heat Index.

Wade has vowed that he will return a different player than he was at the end of last season, when he was limited by bone bruises and tendinitis in his knees. The 31-year-old guard averaged 21.2 points per game during the regular season, but just 15.9 PPG in the playoffs.

“I don’t train my clients to be good as new, I want them to be better than ever,” Grover said about working with Wade again. “That’s the goal for Dwyane.”

Wade likely will drop a few pounds and be in improved shape for this season, but will that be enough? Has he learned to adapt his game to an aging body that can’t just be explosive?

He told the Sun-Sentinel people will doubt him but he is used to that.

“I’m not done yet,” Wade said. “I still got more in the tank. Like I said, my focus is just to make sure physically I can do the things I need to do. My skills haven’t diminished by no stretch of the imagination….

“You lose something as you get older, when it comes to your athleticism,” he said, “but you don’t lose your game, you don’t lose what’s up here [pointing to his head]. My job, my whole life, I’ve always had that kind of doubter, people have always doubted me. And I don’t know how I would succeed without it. So I welcome it, and it gives me a challenge and I will see if I can live up to my challenge.”

Wade’s spirit is willing, we will see about the flesh.

1. motobus - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

They really don’t need him for the regular season.

• shanelsweet - Aug 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You are delusional to think that LeBron, Bosh and the rest of the Heat would even make the playoffs. They need Wade.

• arb927 - Aug 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Um I believe Lebron did it without both of them when he was in Cleveland and is an even better player now so in theory no he wouldn’t need them..

• miamatt - Aug 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I’ll go one better. Bosh and the rest of the Heat would be a 7-8 seed without Wade OR LeBron.

I mean, are you even serious? 38-44 Milwaukee was the 8 seed in the East last year. The fact that you think that “the expendables” + LBJ AND Bosh wouldn’t make the playoffs is hilarious. Even without Wade, you’ve got at least a 4 seed, if not higher. Talk about delusional…

2. joshm5683 - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Wish him the best as he is a fun player to watch, but I doubt he is even as good as last year. There was even an interview last year where someone asked him about working on his jump shot like Kobe as athleticism declined and Wade responded he will always be an attacker and slasher and wasn’t going to change his game as he aged. Unless his view has changed, we can expect more of a decline from him.

• spursareold - Aug 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Yeah, generally when someone goes out of their way to tell the world that they’re not done, they’re done.

The thing about not changing his game isn’t going to help, either. When Wade was young, he could use his raw athleticism to get to the rack. When that goes, only a legit jumper will get the defense to play up instead of sagging off like they do now.

• miamatt - Aug 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

He did work with a shooting coach last summer for the first time in his career, and shot a career high FG% (52% I believe) during the regular season. I think Wade is being a touch disingenuous when he says he won’t change at all, but his larger point is correct: it would be folly for Wade to try to reinvent himself as some kind of Ray Allen. What tends to get lost is that knee issues don’t just affect explosiveness to the basket, they affect lift on a jump a shot- the two go hand-in-hand. Wade will need to improve his jumper to a degree, yes, but more important than that is he needs to find a way to get to HIS game, and that might mean fewer dunks but more floaters, post-ups, and kick-outs.

His health is a big IF, but it’s not like last year was one big steady decline. Wade was on a tear until, sometime late in the 27 game winning streak, something happened with his knee, and it was obvious from that point that he wasn’t the same night-in night-out. We’ll see how he comes back this year. There will come a point when it’s over, but I’m not sure we’re there just yet.

3. tannethrill - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM

If they manage him correctly this season he can go out as a star with a bang. If he can average what he did last year with less minutes and carry it into the playoffs then I think he’d have best case scenario.

Bosh really needs to step up and in the event that Oden can play D then Bosh should be able to deliver.

I could see this being a very special season if the injury bug stays away from the Heat. If their youth can progress at the same rate that the vets are regressing it could be enough to keep the party going in Miami.

Hey Lebron, feel like playing some TE?

4. mckaymatt - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Wade has definitely began whining more later in his career which has caused some people to start questioning his ability. The guy played hurt most of the playoffs and showed up in the games that they needed him. Not a lot of guys would have done what he did and taken the media backlash he did and still perform. Hoping he can keep himself relatively healthy so he can be a bigger contributor than he has been the last two playoff runs, dudes a gamer.

5. kingwithringz - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Lebron and Dwade will go head2head for MVP this year.

• justwannawinna - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Honestly wades body cant take it. Hes got two bad knees and and has lost the explosion in his step.. hes just not the same guy he was. If I were miami I’d try to rest him this season as much as possible because James is the motor of this team now and try to maximize his play for the postseason.

6. simonwelds - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Just like batman he has given his city everything… He could retire right now and it wouldn’t matter… These last few years are icing on the cake, thanks Flash

Signed Heat fan since ’93

7. jamesk2465 - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

He needs to expand his range if he has any plans of Prolonging his carrer

8. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Do you know whose health and knees I’m not being reassured about every other day? All the guys with healthy knees. Every time I read one of these articles I realize a little more how grim the situation really is. We will only see flashes of Flash from now on.. and that’s too bad.

9. miamatt - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I wouldn’t doubt him.

10. glink123 - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Grover is the best in the business. He could turn a lump of dog poo into an all-star.

11. realninerfan22 - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM

D wadr well be just fine…quest for #4

12. odbj - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Please work on your jumpshot.

13. qedfyi - Aug 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Not only Wade’s knees: he had a concussion on March 16 vs Bucks and felt numbness in his arms. He came back later but was never really the same afterwards. Concussions cause CTE and the symptoms are very slowly degenerative and cannot be diagnosed.

Wizards playing spoiler in East