Aug 19, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets have a lot of bonding to do — and fast.
They have a veteran team that can win big if a lot of things go right for them — one of those keys is they need to bond as a unit. This isn’t the Rockets, which can take a year to have their stars figure out how to play together, the Nets have a window of one, two seasons tops. Paul Pierce’s deal is up after this season, Kevin Garnett, Andrei Kirilenko Jason Terry and a few other guys are done in two seasons (plus at that time Brook Lopez can opt out as well). Time is short.
So to help speed the process along, Deron Williams has been hosting players only workouts for the Nets in Los Angeles, reports Stephan Bondy at the New York Daily News.
Williams organized players-only workouts this week in California, with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in attendance. Only five of Brooklyn’s 15 players are unable to attend the workouts that started Sunday and run until Friday.
The entire starting lineup, including Brook Lopez (who only recently shed his walking boot following foot surgery), is expected in California….
Will it have much of an impact? Who knows, but it can’t hurt.
What this really shows is the Nets are still Deron Williams’ team. You can add KG and PP and AK47 and anyone else, but D-Will is the man. And Williams is another key for this team — he has to return to his Utah level of play (the guy who could get mentioned in the same sentence with Chris Paul) if the Nets are going to be a serious threat in the East.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7