Aug 19, 2013, 11:05 AM EST
Not everybody loves Gregg Popovich.
Meet DeJuan Blair. You might remember him as the big man without ACLs who played pretty well for the Spurs — he started all but four games two seasons ago and averaged 9.5 points a game. However, he fell out of the rotation last season as Popovich went with the bigger, more solid defender that is Tiago Splitter. Popovich also liked the shooting that Boris Diaw and Matt Bonner brought to the lineup, so they got more run than Blair.
Those rotation changes helped San Antonio improve it’s defensive rating by two points per 100 possessions and saw them reach the NBA Finals.
When asked about getting back to the NBA Finals, Blair, “Of course I want to get back. I don’t think we’ve [Spurs] would have came up short if I would’ve played but, hey, keep that out there.”
If Blair were out there, the Spurs likely are not in the Finals, but we shouldn’t let a few pesky facts get in the way of our resentments. Besides, Spurs fans know they were just a made free throw or defensive rebound away from winning it, not more Blair.
Blair should be warned, however, that Mavs coach Rick Carlisle is as old school a disciplinarian as Popovich when it comes to minutes and team structure. He should get more run on this Dallas roster, but if he wants to see his minutes dry up fast he should try slamming Carlisle and his rotations.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)