Andre Drummond learns never to play H-O-R-S-E with Rasheed Wallace

Aug 19, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT

Many of us have been around long enough to not only remember Rasheed Wallace from the peak of his playing days with the Blazers and the Pistons, but also for his reputation of being somewhat of a trick shot virtuoso.

The video clip posted above is a reminder of just how ridiculous Wallace can be while displaying these talents, and it sounds like he pulled out the same arsenal recently while getting Andre Drummond to engage with him in a friendly game of H-O-R=S=E.

From Keith Langlois of Pistons.com:

Andre Drummond soaks up a little knowledge from Rasheed Wallace every day they spend together. One of the most searing lessons so far: Don’t engage him in a game of H-O-R-S-E.

“I played with him the other day – it wasn’t fun,” Drummond grinned after a Monday workout. What did coach Wallace throw at his prodigy?

“Everything. The little side corner shot with his feet against the out-of-bounds line. The shot from the track line (that runs behind the basket), over the hoop, made it in. And then the two-ball thing. He’s a natural. I don’t know why I did it to myself. I have no idea why I did it.”

Drummond is just 20 years old, so you can’t blame him for not knowing the extent of Wallace’s skills. Let’s hope this was indeed just a friendly game, and that it didn’t end up costing Drummond more than a little bit of his pride.

Wallace is in his first season as an assistant coach with the Pistons.

1. stayhigh_247 - Aug 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM

wow, if he’d never gone pro, he would have been the best ball boy ever!

2. ranfan12 - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

BALL DON’T LIE

3. dezglobal - Aug 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM

My favorite Piston ever.

4. carussel88 - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM

They failed to mention his one game in atlanta ;-) ….

5. brokerhenry - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Both teams played hard my man!! What I just saw was a man blessed either with god given talent, or who came by it through persistently working hard on getting better at his craft. That was a joy to behold. Always loved Sheed and Ricky Williams.

6. 13fitzj - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Maybe Dre would’ve been better off if he could actually, you know, shoot the basketball.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM

he shot 60.8%. That’s pretty good.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

haha, whoops, silly me. I forgot that 60.8% is bad. Pretty much every center does that.

• unxpexted1 - Aug 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

My goodness, this guy again. I tried not to comment on the D Howard vs Kobe thing. But dude, there is a difference between field goal percentage and shooting percentage. So annoying

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

….By your logic, does that mean he’s a better “shooter” than Kevin Durant, Steve Nash, and Ray Allen?

Hint: The answer is no, a high field goal percentage does not make a player a good “shooter” if all his shot attempts are dunks and layups.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Shots are shots. Say jumpshooter if thats what you mean. If we use the arcane definition others insist upon, then Drummond is a fantastic shooter for a center.

7. adamsjohn714 - Aug 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Hopefully the coach can recognize how freaking good Drummond is and maybe, just maybe, play him 35 minutes a night.

8. 00maltliquor - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:31 AM

That behind-the-backboard shot is one of the easiest trick shots in the book. I’ve mastered that shot and I use it as my go-to shot to give my opponent an S. For the E I usually like to finish ‘em off with that half-court-right-at-the-circle shot. Usually takes me no more then 3 tries.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I’m a pretty bad at HORSE, but thankfully so are my friends. We just play PIG so the games don’t last forever.

9. unsportsmenmic - Aug 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Reblogged this on UnSportsMenMic and commented:
    One of my favorite players

10. edwardemanuelson - Aug 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I’m so glad he’s still involved in the game. The selfish part of me wishes he’d have taken an announcer gig so I could hear him speak about the game regularly, but he’s contributing more as an assistant. For all his shenanigans, he’s got a wealth of knowledge and experience and is one helluva talent. And he was always a winner.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches