Aug 18, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
A report surfaced last week that the Pistons had interest in adding veteran free agent center Jason Collins to the roster as an insurance policy for the team’s two primary big men, Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe.
Whatever level of interest there was initially appeared to diminish fairly quickly, as another report surfaced a day later which downplayed the first.
Now comes word that while the Pistons may have indeed been considering Collins, they have decided not to sign him.
The Detroit Pistons have decided to pass on signing veteran free-agent center Jason Collins, according to an official in the team’s front office, Four months ago the 34-year-old center became the first active male in one of the four major North American team sports to announce he was gay. He recently worked out with the Pistons in the hope of filling out the end of their bench as a reserve.
Collins came out of the closet in a Sports Illustrated cover story during the opening round of this year’s NBA playoffs. He hasn’t played since the revelation, which means the first time he steps onto the court next season will be a trailblazing event.
For those not used to seeing Lidz’s name associated with breaking run-of-the-mill NBA transaction news, it’s worth noting that he’s uniquely qualified to do so where Collins is concerned, as he was the one who broke the story of Collins’ announcement.
As for the player himself, Collins is still looking for somewhere to play next season. He appeared in 32 games for the Celtics last year and averaged 10.2 minutes per contest, before being traded to the Wizards along with Leandro Barbosa in the deal that sent Jordan Crawford to Boston.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29