Aug 18, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Raymond Felton has always seemed to be able to play just fine while carrying a little extra weight on his 6’1″ frame, although dropping some of those extra pounds would only help his performance in running the point for the New York Knicks next season.
According to Felton, who spoke to reporters at a charity event in New York this weekend, that’s exactly what he’s been working on over the summer.
With the help of Washington D.C.-based trainer Keith Veney, Felton says he has lost approximately 15 pounds since the end of the 2012-13 season. He played at around 212 pounds last year and is encouraged with his new physique and the added speed it can lead to.
“I was quick before, but if you take off 15 pounds, you can be that much quicker,” Felton said Sunday at a Big Brothers-Big Sisters New York City event at St. John’s.
Blazers fans just mumbled several expletives to themselves.
Felton’s weight was an issue during his one season in Portland, which happened to be the 2011-12 campaign that was shortened due to the NBA’s lockout. Felton admitted he was caught by surprise by the lockout’s end, and was not physically ready to play once the season eventually began in December.
Felton was also vilified for whatever role he played in the complete implosion of the Blazers that season, which led to the firing of Nate McMillan and a couple of midseason trades that placed Portland into a full-blown rebuild by the time the season was finished.
All of that, however, seemed to be an aberration. Felton has fit in well with the Knicks, and his weight wasn’t an issue last season when he started 68 games for the team that finished the season with the second best record in the Eastern Conference. Dropping the extra pounds will only help him improve upon that effort next year.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 7
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 12
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7