Aug 18, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
The Celtics want to see how Rondo returns from the ACL injury that prematurely ended his season, and believe, at least for now, that he’s capable of leading the team into its next era of success.
Pierce is a believer, as well.
“Without question [he can be the man in Boston],” Pierce said. “I’ve already talked to Rajon; Rajon’s mature. People talk about the relationship with Doc [Rivers], and they probably had their best years over the last two years. So I don’t think that was a reason for Doc leaving. I’ve heard that, but that wasn’t a reason for Doc not coming back.
“Rondo is one of the best players in the league. He’s a guy who can be the face of a franchise. He’s won a championship, he’s been an All-Star. There’s a lot of organizations who don’t even have a face of that caliber.
“I definitely think he’s matured and can handle a lot. I talked to him and he’s ready for the challenge. He knows that it’s his team. He knows he has to be a leader, and from being around me and Kevin [Garnett] and seeing how we work.”
Pierce is almost always a straight shooter, and would have deflected the question if he didn’t feel like disparaging his former teammate, or that his words weren’t indicative of exactly how he feels.
That being said, the knock on Rondo to this point has been an icy personality that doesn’t always mesh with teammates or those in the front office. That’ll have to thaw a little in order for Rondo to take on the leadership role in Boston that’s his if he wants it, but it’s certainly nice to get such a solid endorsement from a player with Pierce’s credentials.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11