Aug 18, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Brad Stevens appears to be a solid head coaching hire to lead the rebuilding effort for the Boston Celtics, especially considering they gave him a six-year contract that should provide plenty of time for him, as well as the front office, to put their future plans in place.
We know Stevens can coach at the college level, but we don’t yet know if he’ll be able to make the transition to being able to relate to professional athletes. And being only 36 years of age might also work against him initially as he tries to get his point across.
It would make sense, then, for Stevens to add a formerly respected Celtics veteran to his staff as an assistant coach to help him learn the ropes.
From Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com:
Former Celtic James Posey among the candidates to fill out Brad Stevens’ staff in Boston, source told ESPN. Stevens likely to hire ex-player
Posey played 12 NBA seasons, and was a starter on the Miami Heat’s championship team in 2006. More importantly, his one season playing in Boston came as a key reserve on the 2008 championship squad.
Posey has very little experience coaching, although he was helping out the Cavaliers during Summer League in Las Vegas. But it won’t be about Xs and Os if he ends up getting a gig under Stevens. It’ll be about being a respected voice on the coaching staff, and helping to get his young head coach’s message through to the players on the roster.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 41
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11