Aug 17, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Phil Jackson has gone on the record more than once saying he’s not going to return to coaching since being left at the altar by the Lakers near the beginning of last season.
It may or may not have anything to do with the level of desire Jackson still has to compete in that capacity. Rather, the toll that the travel grind of an 82-game season would take on his health has seemed to be at the forefront of his thoughts anytime the topic has been broached.
Jackson attended a class reunion this weekend in Williston, North Dakota, and spent some time with the local media there. And he reiterated once more that his coaching days are through.
Williston High School graduate Phil Jackson was in town this weekend for his 50th high school class reunion as well as to speak at the Banquet of Champions for the 13-year-old Babe Ruth World Series.
During the press conference, Jackson made it clear he has no intentions of returning to coach.
“I have no intention of coaching,” he said. “I am still recovering from multiple surgeries.”
Jackson is currently experiencing back problems, which require him to use a walking cane.
Until and unless Jackson is able to get to the point where he’d be completely healthy enough to patrol the sidelines once more, whether or not he wants to coach again is a moot point.
Lakers fans can chant “we want Phil” all they want during times when their team struggles next season, but it simply isn’t going to happen. Now, could it happen the following season, with current assistant coach Kurt Rambis easing the transition or perhaps even sharing the head coaching duties with Jackson so he wouldn’t have to travel as much?
Jeanie Buss, who has an ownership stake in the Lakers and is also Jackson’s fiancee, believes Jackson isn’t done coaching for good. One never knows what the future may hold, but at this point, it appears to be a long shot at best.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28