Aug 17, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
The Lakers and the Clippers are in similar situations where the salary cap is concerned, in that each team currently has 12 players with guaranteed contracts on the books for next season resulting in a committed total payroll amount somewhere north of $70 million.
Both clubs are looking to potentially add a veteran piece to the end of their bench for the league minimum, and they reportedly met with the same free agent this week.
The Los Angeles Clippers and Lakers were the two teams that Lou Amundson visited this week and discussions went positively with both organizations, agent Mark Bartelstein told RealGM on Friday.
Amundson had met with a couple teams last week and sat down with two more within the past few days, and the 6-foot-9 forward is continuing dialogue with interested teams in hopes of landing a deal soon.
“They were good meetings,” Bartelstein said. “I wouldn’t quite use the word frontrunner right now, but there’s interest, and hopefully we can get something done soon.”
The Clippers are more likely to add Amundson, even though they have their sights set on either Lamar Odom or Antawn Jamison, because they’re trying to contend for a title. You can never have enough depth in that situation, especially someone productive like Amundson who can defend and rebound to eat up some of those bench minutes during the long grind of the regular season.
Amundson bounced around last year, playing for Minnesota and then Chicago (well, at least technically) before finishing the season in New Orleans.
Also, he once took a punch to the face from Zach Randolph and didn’t hit the deck — that has to count for something.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 0
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 4
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)