Aug 17, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The Lakers and the Clippers are in similar situations where the salary cap is concerned, in that each team currently has 12 players with guaranteed contracts on the books for next season resulting in a committed total payroll amount somewhere north of $70 million.
Both clubs are looking to potentially add a veteran piece to the end of their bench for the league minimum, and they reportedly met with the same free agent this week.
The Los Angeles Clippers and Lakers were the two teams that Lou Amundson visited this week and discussions went positively with both organizations, agent Mark Bartelstein told RealGM on Friday.
Amundson had met with a couple teams last week and sat down with two more within the past few days, and the 6-foot-9 forward is continuing dialogue with interested teams in hopes of landing a deal soon.
“They were good meetings,” Bartelstein said. “I wouldn’t quite use the word frontrunner right now, but there’s interest, and hopefully we can get something done soon.”
The Clippers are more likely to add Amundson, even though they have their sights set on either Lamar Odom or Antawn Jamison, because they’re trying to contend for a title. You can never have enough depth in that situation, especially someone productive like Amundson who can defend and rebound to eat up some of those bench minutes during the long grind of the regular season.
Amundson bounced around last year, playing for Minnesota and then Chicago (well, at least technically) before finishing the season in New Orleans.
Also, he once took a punch to the face from Zach Randolph and didn’t hit the deck — that has to count for something.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 24
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14