Full statement from Seattle’s Chris Hansen following revelation he funded anti-arena group in Sacramento

Aug 17, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Chris Hansen AP

Chris Hansen led the group that tried to purchase the Sacramento Kings with the understanding that once they took ownership, the team would be relocated to Seattle.

Ultimately, it didn’t come to pass.

Once NBA owners officially voted against relocation, the Seattle group’s bid was effectively ended. But after that vote took place, Hansen continued to work against ownership in Sacramento by funding a group that was trying to prevent a new downtown arena from ever being built.

Hansen released a statement once the news became public, which is reprinted below in its entirety (via Sonicsarena.com):

“I made a mistake I regret.

“When our binding agreement to purchase the Sacramento Kings became a competitive situation and we were faced with both the prospect of seeing our transaction fail and losing our $30 million deposit, I engaged Loeb & Loeb to canvas the various opposition groups to gain an understanding of their efforts and the prospects of their success.

“During this time I was approached through Loeb by the opposition about making a contribution to the opposition’s efforts as part of a broader group and agreed to make a donation.

“In this regard I would just like to highlight that I have never directly engaged with or even had any conversations or contact with STOP, Taxpayers For Safer Neighborhoods, or any the various consultants engaged in the Sacramento Arena opposition. It was also not my intent to be the primary financial sponsor of the opposition’s efforts. I merely agreed to make a donation to the opposition in what had become a competitive and heated process.

“I have not agreed to provide any further political contributions and do not intend to make any further contributions.

“I would also just point out that the contribution was made in my personal capacity and not on behalf of our ownership group or my partners. In fact, I have never discussed the contribution with them to date.

“While I’m sure everyone can appreciate how easy it is to get caught up the heat of battle, with the benefit of hindsight, this is clearly a decision I regret. I wish the city of Sacramento and Kings fans the best in their efforts and they have my commitment not to have any involvement in their arena efforts in the future.”

— Chris Hansen

It will be up to the league to determine whether or not this is a sincere act of contrition.

1. money2long - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

i believe his sincerity. the heat of battle makes people do things. and he sounds like it was just a donation and nothing more. not like he was strategizing in depth. meh.

2. hatesycophants - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Always encouraging to have one of the Many jump to the defense of one of the Few. He’s a freaking hedge fund manager as well. Bootlicker.

You will never be one of them. Never!

3. MyTeamsAllStink - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

at least he admitted it,The Maloofs would of denied denied denied

4. jcmeyer10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Whatever, he’s playing by the rules that Stern set up that is, there are no rules but the ones Stern arbitrarily makes up. It’s a dog eat dog world for NBA franchises and nobody knows that better than Seattle.

5. swyrlpr - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

As a Seattle SuperSonics fan, I have learned all is fair in Love, War and NBA franchise relocations.

If you are offended by Hansen’s efforts to bring the Kings to Seattle, than Clay Bennett should make you want to vomit when you hear his name.

• katra2logic - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Bennett and Hanson are mere amateurs who could learn a few more devious tricks from THE BIG time scumbag Michael E. Heisley

Michael E. Heisley (born March 13, 1937) is an American businessman and former majority owner of the Memphis Grizzlies.He orchestrated the move of the team from Vancouver in 2001, after promising to keep the franchise in Vancouver when he purchased it in 2000. (from Wiki).

Typical move. Sang the Canadian national anthem while promising to keep the Grizzlies in Vancouver. Of course he was already planning to move them to Memphis. What a hypocritical a**hole.

• jdillydawg - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM

How Bennett comes out an amateur, I don’t know. Bennett bought the team and told Seattle he would keep it there. He never intended to. Moved it two years later. Check your Wiki facts.

Hanson just has a hard on for a basketball team in Seattle, and I have no idea why. When I saw what he was going to pay for them to come, I about threw up. I’m glad they didn’t give it to him just based on that, the price was way to high and that would have only been passed on to to taxpayers and fans over time.

6. jprcox - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Hansen got involved with the Kings only AFTER the NBA and SAC couldn’t agree on a new stadium deal. Hansen was told by underlings of the NBA that it was his team if he wanted to step up. So, he stepped up – and I don’t think anyone expected SAC to come around and counter-propose such a complete package.

The people taken advantage of here are – The people of SAC, AND Hansen/Seattle. SAC ended up giving up much more than they should have needed, and the NBA used Hansen/Seattle to force SAC into a sweet deal. Hansen is the one that comes out of this with nothing, not to mention $30m deposit gone (and countless hrs wasted $$$). He has a right to be upset and should be granted a pass. I don’t think he really meant to hurt SAC, but it was the only thing he could do. I feel for him.

7. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Why is it wrong again? He lost his bid and he wanted to work to try to do something to increase his odds in the future.

8. longtallsam - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I don’t really see what he has to apologize for.

9. seattles780 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM

chris hansen just messed everything up if you guys think what’s the deal well when he try’s to buy a different team the nba is Not going to deal with a snake just lost all hope Its done over Where was he when in 2008 sacramento did what they had too do to keep there team we r never going to get a nba team Chris the sore loser messed it all up And to make it look wors is he tryed to hide the $100.000

donation until a lawsuit was pending

10. smcgaels1997 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

If you think he has nothing to apologize for or he did nothing wrong I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for you, cause your a moron.

11. timothysykesdick - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Obviously he did something wrong if he’s apologizing for it- only because he got caught. Now it’s damage control time cause his hand was in the cookie jar. It doesn’t matter if people say David Stern was slime himself. If Hansen is trying to match him for underhand deceiving actions, two wrongs don’t make a right because Hansen is not in the driver’s seat; he’s still an outsider looking in. Hansen just screwed himself as a future owner of the Sonics. Yeah Clay Bennett did this, yeah this owner did that in the past, yada yada yada. It still doesn’t diminish what Hansen did weeks AFTER the decision was made. His actions look like a desperate attempt to try and force overtime in a game that’s already over which makes him looks stupid X5. He can make excuses now to distance himself from the group in California responsible for this, but in the end he’s still guilty by association.

12. hawkman4life - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I wonder what all you thumbs down people woild say had you put down 30 million in deposit with a binding contract to buy a team to have a power mongering and spiteful commish intercede and create a path to undermine the sale by giving continuance after continuance to a city who had no buyers at all nor an arena plan. Seattle had all the ducks in a row yet the commish did everything in his power to stop the sale out of pure spite. The same process was not followed when Bennet bought the team when the commissioner KNEW their intent was to move the team from day one and Bennet made it practically impossible for Seattle to keep the team. Bennet also bought all of the supersonic history and crated it to never be seen again essentially wiping out its history. Tell me there was no spite on the side of the NBA against Seattle in every way. Then after denying the sale, Hansen is given the cold shoulder (not part of the exclusive owners club) for his efforts and is out $30 million. I am sure all you couch thumbs downers have $30 million you can just flush down the drain and care less about it. He had a right to be ticked IMO. But what can you expect, the NBA has been corrupt for years now and honestly I could care less if Seattle gets a tam back. The games are rigged to special players and considerations and full of flops that make for a boring game. The NBA sucks! David Stern is a douche and has ruined the game!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches