Aug 16, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
There’s a reason Brett Brown was given a four-year guaranteed contract when hired as the new head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers.
It’s going to take that much time to return the team to a respectable level of playoff relevance, considering how few assets are currently held on its existing roster.
It’s clear that the organization needed a complete overhaul this summer, which is why it isn’t at all surprising that Brown wants to embark on his journey with his own guys, while giving the franchise a clean, fresh start.
Sixers assistant coaches Michael Curry, Aaron McKie and Jeff Capel have been dismissed with one season remaining on their contracts on Friday, according to a league source.
The team has not made an official announcement, but The Philadelphia Inquirer first reported the story about the dismissal of the coaches on Friday, quoting the new head coach.
“I’m doing that for obvious reasons,” Brown told the Inquirer. “I want to hire my own staff and have a clean start going in that direction. … I feel like it’s important that I come in with my own staff and start fresh and try to rebuild.”
Curry was interviewed for the head position in Philadelphia, so retaining him would have been difficult under the circumstances.
As for the others, both are respected coaches that should eventually land a spot elsewhere. But again, everyone involved should have seen this coming.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7