Aug 16, 2013, 2:34 PM EST
There’s a reason Brett Brown was given a four-year guaranteed contract when hired as the new head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers.
It’s going to take that much time to return the team to a respectable level of playoff relevance, considering how few assets are currently held on its existing roster.
It’s clear that the organization needed a complete overhaul this summer, which is why it isn’t at all surprising that Brown wants to embark on his journey with his own guys, while giving the franchise a clean, fresh start.
Sixers assistant coaches Michael Curry, Aaron McKie and Jeff Capel have been dismissed with one season remaining on their contracts on Friday, according to a league source.
The team has not made an official announcement, but The Philadelphia Inquirer first reported the story about the dismissal of the coaches on Friday, quoting the new head coach.
“I’m doing that for obvious reasons,” Brown told the Inquirer. “I want to hire my own staff and have a clean start going in that direction. … I feel like it’s important that I come in with my own staff and start fresh and try to rebuild.”
Curry was interviewed for the head position in Philadelphia, so retaining him would have been difficult under the circumstances.
As for the others, both are respected coaches that should eventually land a spot elsewhere. But again, everyone involved should have seen this coming.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 5
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)