Aug 16, 2013, 2:34 PM EST
There’s a reason Brett Brown was given a four-year guaranteed contract when hired as the new head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers.
It’s going to take that much time to return the team to a respectable level of playoff relevance, considering how few assets are currently held on its existing roster.
It’s clear that the organization needed a complete overhaul this summer, which is why it isn’t at all surprising that Brown wants to embark on his journey with his own guys, while giving the franchise a clean, fresh start.
Sixers assistant coaches Michael Curry, Aaron McKie and Jeff Capel have been dismissed with one season remaining on their contracts on Friday, according to a league source.
The team has not made an official announcement, but The Philadelphia Inquirer first reported the story about the dismissal of the coaches on Friday, quoting the new head coach.
“I’m doing that for obvious reasons,” Brown told the Inquirer. “I want to hire my own staff and have a clean start going in that direction. … I feel like it’s important that I come in with my own staff and start fresh and try to rebuild.”
Curry was interviewed for the head position in Philadelphia, so retaining him would have been difficult under the circumstances.
As for the others, both are respected coaches that should eventually land a spot elsewhere. But again, everyone involved should have seen this coming.
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23