Aug 16, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
There’s a reason Brett Brown was given a four-year guaranteed contract when hired as the new head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers.
It’s going to take that much time to return the team to a respectable level of playoff relevance, considering how few assets are currently held on its existing roster.
It’s clear that the organization needed a complete overhaul this summer, which is why it isn’t at all surprising that Brown wants to embark on his journey with his own guys, while giving the franchise a clean, fresh start.
Sixers assistant coaches Michael Curry, Aaron McKie and Jeff Capel have been dismissed with one season remaining on their contracts on Friday, according to a league source.
The team has not made an official announcement, but The Philadelphia Inquirer first reported the story about the dismissal of the coaches on Friday, quoting the new head coach.
“I’m doing that for obvious reasons,” Brown told the Inquirer. “I want to hire my own staff and have a clean start going in that direction. … I feel like it’s important that I come in with my own staff and start fresh and try to rebuild.”
Curry was interviewed for the head position in Philadelphia, so retaining him would have been difficult under the circumstances.
As for the others, both are respected coaches that should eventually land a spot elsewhere. But again, everyone involved should have seen this coming.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48