Aug 16, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
But the Pacers are becoming Paul George’s team.
And the All-Star entering his fourth season told the Indianapolis Star he is ready to take on that top role.
“This whole summer, I really trained being the go-to guy and the lead guy for our team. Last year, we still had Danny and did not know the results (of Granger’s injury) coming into the year. I had a role that I had kind of prepared for and trained for. This year, it was more about training to be the No. 1 guy and lead this team.”
George spent part of his summer at the Team USA mini-camp where Mike Krzyzewski and the USA Basketball staff got a good look at the young talent in the league. He left that camp with people saying he’s pretty much a lock to be on Team USA in Spain for the World Championships next summer.
There are just two key questions and they both revolve around George.
First, can George and Danny Granger mesh fully? Second, if they can, how far can George’s versatile game take them? Because right now Pacers fans are thinking title run, and the Pacers should be in that mix.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43