Aug 16, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
But the Pacers are becoming Paul George’s team.
And the All-Star entering his fourth season told the Indianapolis Star he is ready to take on that top role.
“This whole summer, I really trained being the go-to guy and the lead guy for our team. Last year, we still had Danny and did not know the results (of Granger’s injury) coming into the year. I had a role that I had kind of prepared for and trained for. This year, it was more about training to be the No. 1 guy and lead this team.”
George spent part of his summer at the Team USA mini-camp where Mike Krzyzewski and the USA Basketball staff got a good look at the young talent in the league. He left that camp with people saying he’s pretty much a lock to be on Team USA in Spain for the World Championships next summer.
There are just two key questions and they both revolve around George.
First, can George and Danny Granger mesh fully? Second, if they can, how far can George’s versatile game take them? Because right now Pacers fans are thinking title run, and the Pacers should be in that mix.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 2
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 2
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 10
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 13
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9