Aug 16, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
For the last two playoff runs, knee issues have hindered Dwyane Wade. He has some serious tendonitis in his knee and he hasn’t looked like himself, except in spurts.
So this summer he went the shock treatment route.
Yes, shock treatment — it is sending shock waves into the impacted knee or other area, very different than the “One Few Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” variety. It’s a recognized medical practice, albeit one considered the last resort when other things haven’t worked. While just how effective it can be is still up for debate by doctors doing studies, Wade said that it has worked for him, reports Ira Winderman at the Sun Sentinel.
“I had to take a month off after I did my treatment and this weekend will be a month to the day,” he said during (his adult fantasy camp) at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. “It’s the kind of treatment for tendinitis, certain areas in your knee….
“Feeling a lot better,” Wade said at Thursday’s event… I’m not at ‘great’ yet. I’m feeling a lot, lot better.
“Right now I have to work on the strengthening part of it. So, I still have time before the season. By the time the season [starts], I think I’ll be as good as I’ve been.”
That nice and all that he feels good at the start of the season, but can Erik Spoelstra scale back his minutes a little and have him feeling that good at the end of the season? That is what matters.
The East got deeper this summer and Miami is going to have to be better just to get out of the conference again, let alone go after a three-peat. They didn’t make any serious roster moves (until Greg Oden plays a game he’s not a difference maker) so they need improvement from within. Wade playing at or near his vintage self would certainly help that cause. But he’s going to have to show me this works before I buy in.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 6
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 13
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5