Aug 16, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
For the last two playoff runs, knee issues have hindered Dwyane Wade. He has some serious tendonitis in his knee and he hasn’t looked like himself, except in spurts.
So this summer he went the shock treatment route.
Yes, shock treatment — it is sending shock waves into the impacted knee or other area, very different than the “One Few Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” variety. It’s a recognized medical practice, albeit one considered the last resort when other things haven’t worked. While just how effective it can be is still up for debate by doctors doing studies, Wade said that it has worked for him, reports Ira Winderman at the Sun Sentinel.
“I had to take a month off after I did my treatment and this weekend will be a month to the day,” he said during (his adult fantasy camp) at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. “It’s the kind of treatment for tendinitis, certain areas in your knee….
“Feeling a lot better,” Wade said at Thursday’s event… I’m not at ‘great’ yet. I’m feeling a lot, lot better.
“Right now I have to work on the strengthening part of it. So, I still have time before the season. By the time the season [starts], I think I’ll be as good as I’ve been.”
That nice and all that he feels good at the start of the season, but can Erik Spoelstra scale back his minutes a little and have him feeling that good at the end of the season? That is what matters.
The East got deeper this summer and Miami is going to have to be better just to get out of the conference again, let alone go after a three-peat. They didn’t make any serious roster moves (until Greg Oden plays a game he’s not a difference maker) so they need improvement from within. Wade playing at or near his vintage self would certainly help that cause. But he’s going to have to show me this works before I buy in.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32