Aug 16, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
For the last two playoff runs, knee issues have hindered Dwyane Wade. He has some serious tendonitis in his knee and he hasn’t looked like himself, except in spurts.
So this summer he went the shock treatment route.
Yes, shock treatment — it is sending shock waves into the impacted knee or other area, very different than the “One Few Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” variety. It’s a recognized medical practice, albeit one considered the last resort when other things haven’t worked. While just how effective it can be is still up for debate by doctors doing studies, Wade said that it has worked for him, reports Ira Winderman at the Sun Sentinel.
“I had to take a month off after I did my treatment and this weekend will be a month to the day,” he said during (his adult fantasy camp) at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. “It’s the kind of treatment for tendinitis, certain areas in your knee….
“Feeling a lot better,” Wade said at Thursday’s event… I’m not at ‘great’ yet. I’m feeling a lot, lot better.
“Right now I have to work on the strengthening part of it. So, I still have time before the season. By the time the season [starts], I think I’ll be as good as I’ve been.”
That nice and all that he feels good at the start of the season, but can Erik Spoelstra scale back his minutes a little and have him feeling that good at the end of the season? That is what matters.
The East got deeper this summer and Miami is going to have to be better just to get out of the conference again, let alone go after a three-peat. They didn’t make any serious roster moves (until Greg Oden plays a game he’s not a difference maker) so they need improvement from within. Wade playing at or near his vintage self would certainly help that cause. But he’s going to have to show me this works before I buy in.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 51
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 67
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 19
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 40
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3