Dwyane Wade had shock treatment to help knee tendonitis

Aug 16, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

BKN-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-HEAT-GAME 6 Getty Images

For the last two playoff runs, knee issues have hindered Dwyane Wade. He has some serious tendonitis in his knee and he hasn’t looked like himself, except in spurts.

So this summer he went the shock treatment route.

Yes, shock treatment — it is sending shock waves into the impacted knee or other area, very different than the “One Few Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” variety. It’s a recognized medical practice, albeit one considered the last resort when other things haven’t worked. While just how effective it can be is still up for debate by doctors doing studies, Wade said that it has worked for him, reports Ira Winderman at the Sun Sentinel.

“I had to take a month off after I did my treatment and this weekend will be a month to the day,” he said during (his adult fantasy camp) at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. “It’s the kind of treatment for tendinitis, certain areas in your knee….

“Feeling a lot better,” Wade said at Thursday’s event… I’m not at ‘great’ yet. I’m feeling a lot, lot better.

“Right now I have to work on the strengthening part of it. So, I still have time before the season. By the time the season [starts], I think I’ll be as good as I’ve been.”

That nice and all that he feels good at the start of the season, but can Erik Spoelstra scale back his minutes a little and have him feeling that good at the end of the season? That is what matters.

The East got deeper this summer and Miami is going to have to be better just to get out of the conference again, let alone go after a three-peat. They didn’t make any serious roster moves (until Greg Oden plays a game he’s not a difference maker) so they need improvement from within. Wade playing at or near his vintage self would certainly help that cause. But he’s going to have to show me this works before I buy in.

1. philliesblow - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM

2. sportsfan18 - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I’m not a Wade fan but I give him credit for dealing with and playing through his knee troubles.

His stats, PER, shooting etc… are all better than I thought before I looked at them.

He isn’t simply resting on his laurels. He’s not been 100% the last two seasons but he’s worked hard and played at less than 100% so I give him credit.

3. spursareold - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

The only shock will be finding out it was HGH treatment.

• soflasfinest - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Cough, cough 38 yr old Tim Duncan having his best year…

• spursareold - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Not even close, although, per minute it was in the top 2 or 3 seasons. Losing the weight and cutting his minutes worked wonders on his durability. Not sure how he’s “juicing” if he still can’t jump over more than maybe a phone book.

• soflasfinest - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM

HGH isn’t juice, roids are. HGH helps you heal and recover faster. Ala a 38 yr old legend having his best year stat wise.

• spursareold - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Which actually wasn’t his best year. Keep beating that drum, though. You’re weakening your own argument and supporting mine by using that canard.

Show me the pics of Duncan where he has the ‘Bron/Wade clearly visible HGH jawbone.

• fredagsedb - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Duncan has been on limited time for years. He played like 29 minutes pr. game this season, after he lost like 20 pounds to minimize the impact on his knees. He had stats close to his best years pr. 36 mins or 48 mins, but he just can’t play those minutes anymore.

LeBron has been playing 40 minutes his whole career and basically hasn’t been injured. (With a body like Karl Malone and sprinting twice as much) If that doesn’t seem dubious you tell me what is.

Wade had that injury some years back that he came back from crazily fast, but he is starting to look human now.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Taking steroids and HGH doesn’t make you less likely to sustain a serious injury. HGH certainly helps you recover, but I doubt Lebron is taking HGH to come back 1 game earlier from ankle sprains and jammed fingers. It’s quite possible that the most athletic guy in the league, coupled with being extremely strong and heavy, just doesn’t get hurt much.

• omahakidw - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

You know, the first time they were there, and “Pop” sent them home (Duncan, Genobli, Green) what wasn’t told was they stopped off at the clinic in Miami, were taken care of ….if you know what I mean………… then sent to San Antonio. Duncan playing out of his mind, Genobli acting ten years younger, Danny Green hitting three`s like crazy yeah right, they all participated in the studies from the clinic in Florida. He ( Pop ) wasn’t trying to save them for the season. If you believe he was than your crazier than I thought

4. bucrightoff - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Biogenesis, based out of Coral Gables Florida….hmmmm…..

• cantonbound13 - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I can definitely see LeBron & Wade being on it. Bosh, not so much.

• leahcima1 - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Cantonjerk, you still looking for reasons why Wade and James have more rings than the Kicks have in their entire history? Try talent instead of what you “can definitely see” from that cave you dwell in.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM

@Moron Leah: who are the kicks? Get a life idiot!

• leahcima1 - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

The kicks are what you get out being an a–hole. lol

5. reesesteel23 - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM

2006 Finals MVP!

6. reupjosh - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Adult fantasy camp…WOW

• jt1138 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Yeah, adult. For a charity event.

He does more for charity and the community than the majority of the NBA.

7. cantonbound13 - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Still riding LeBron’s coattails. Funny thing is he will end up with more rings than LeBron.

• skinsfanwill - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Lebron came to him for the championship. He didn’t go to Lebron. And if Lebron would have given him the rock against Dallas, there would be 3 championships in a row. He knows how to finish Dallas off.

• leahcima1 - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

You can always count on cantonjerk either saying something obvious and making it sound stupid or say something stupid and … Oh it stays stupid. Whew I with they could lock down the sewers.

• akronhatesyoulechoke - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Another predictable, uneducated response from princess Leah

• cantonbound13 - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM

You can always count on Leah for a predictable, uneducated response. It’s amazing how obsessed you are with me, I’d be flattered if you weren’t such an ugly, uneducated ho.

• leahcima1 - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

8. piercelahey - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

people forget dwyane wade is a top 5 player when healthy, cant wait to see him back at 100 percent

9. kingwithringz - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Im a “Heatle” 4Life. I love this team man.

10. money2long - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

teams like beating you at your best. get well soon wade.

11. arliepro - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Coach Spo should take a page out of Coach Pop’s book re: Wade’s minutes this season.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches