Dwyane Wade getting back on basketball court this weekend

Aug 16, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT

Heat's Wade sits with the Larry O'Brien Trophy after his team defeated the Spurs in Game 7 to win their NBA Finals basketball playoff in Miami Reuters

The last time Dwyane Wade did anything on a basketball court it was Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

Since then he has rested the bone bruise that had him missing playoff games and limited him when he was on the court, he had shock treatment on both knees to help with tendonitis issues, and generally spent his summer on vacation.

This weekend he gets back to work, he told reporters including Tom Haberstroh of ESPN’s Heat Index.

“I won’t be ready for opening night when training camp starts,” Wade said. “But I’ll be ready for opening night when opening night gets here.”

Some fans like to play doctor from their couch and Haberstroh noted a lot of people tweeted at Wade to go to Germany for Kobe Bryant’s blood-spinning therapy. Wade shot them down after he talked to his actual doctors (who went to medical school, did residencies and everything). As Wade noted, his bone bruise issues started when he was kneed by another player in the knee.

“I (told the fans), ‘Great, but if I get kneed in my knee again, is it going to stop that? Is it bone-bruise-proof? ‘Wade elaborated on Friday. “It’s not a structural thing, so it’s really not what (blood-spinning) does. I think people have a little bit of a misconception about exactly what that treatment does and what my knee went through last season. I went through bone-bruises.”

Whatever he does, Wade needs to be better come next playoffs (look for Erik Spoelstra to try and limit Wade’s regular season minutes). The East has gotten better — Indiana, Brooklyn, Chicago and New York all improved — and if the Heat are going to three-peat it will be because their stars stepped up. That means more Wade.

It’s going to be next May before we find out if Wade spent his summer vacation wisely.

1. ranfan12 - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I hate getting kneed in the knees. Felt like I waa finally rid of tendinitis and now it’s like I’m in the middle of where I started lol. How exactly do you avoid something like that.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM

you stop flopping

• leahcima1 - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Hey cantonjerk what does this guy “realninerfan22″ mean when he says “Wade continues to count rings 3 and counting….”? I read someplace that it means he has three rings? That doesn’t sound fair when your Knicks have zero in your lifetime.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

You’re like an unwanted groupie hanging on my every word. Go away ghetto trash! Do you spend all day on here waiting for me to post something? Get a life, loser.

• leahcima1 - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• ranfan12 - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

LOL

2. realninerfan22 - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Wade continue to count rings 3 in counting….

• apkyletexas - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Champagne, cigars, and Spanx – what a way to celebrate a championship. Just like Jordan used to do. D-Wade – you go girl!

3. southbeachtalent - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Canton=troll, of the loser variety.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches