Aug 16, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
The last time Dwyane Wade did anything on a basketball court it was Game 7 of the NBA Finals.
Since then he has rested the bone bruise that had him missing playoff games and limited him when he was on the court, he had shock treatment on both knees to help with tendonitis issues, and generally spent his summer on vacation.
This weekend he gets back to work, he told reporters including Tom Haberstroh of ESPN’s Heat Index.
“I won’t be ready for opening night when training camp starts,” Wade said. “But I’ll be ready for opening night when opening night gets here.”
Some fans like to play doctor from their couch and Haberstroh noted a lot of people tweeted at Wade to go to Germany for Kobe Bryant’s blood-spinning therapy. Wade shot them down after he talked to his actual doctors (who went to medical school, did residencies and everything). As Wade noted, his bone bruise issues started when he was kneed by another player in the knee.
“I (told the fans), ‘Great, but if I get kneed in my knee again, is it going to stop that? Is it bone-bruise-proof? ‘Wade elaborated on Friday. “It’s not a structural thing, so it’s really not what (blood-spinning) does. I think people have a little bit of a misconception about exactly what that treatment does and what my knee went through last season. I went through bone-bruises.”
Whatever he does, Wade needs to be better come next playoffs (look for Erik Spoelstra to try and limit Wade’s regular season minutes). The East has gotten better — Indiana, Brooklyn, Chicago and New York all improved — and if the Heat are going to three-peat it will be because their stars stepped up. That means more Wade.
It’s going to be next May before we find out if Wade spent his summer vacation wisely.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 0
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 53
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 11
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14