Alex Len says he has ‘no pain’ following surgeries to both ankles, will be ready to start the season
Aug 16, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
The Suns selected Alex Len with the fifth overall pick in this year’s draft fully aware of an ankle injury that would keep him out of action all summer long.
But once examined by team medical personnel, it was determined that he should undergo a second surgery to the other ankle as a precautionary measure.
Obviously, this isn’t exactly what you want to hear about such a high pick in the draft before he ever puts on a uniform for your favorite team. But all appears to be well at this point, and Len, appearing at the Suns’ uniform unveiling in Scottsdale on Thursday, says he should be ready to go by the time training camp begins.
Len, 20, has been out of the boot for a week and is on schedule to be ready to participate when Suns training camp opens in Flagstaff in late September. He lost weight after his surgery but has gained back 10 pounds during his rehabilitation work in the past month.
“I’ve got two more weeks of rehab and then I’ll be back about 85-90 percent,” Len said. “I’ll be back for training camp and be ready for the season. The ankle’s feeling great. I have no pain.”
Players like Nerlens Noel and Ben McLemore were still on the board when the Suns drafted Len, and the pick was new GM Ryan McDonough’s first important decision with the team — one that will be scrutinized even more closely considering how long McDonough has been scouting him.
But for now, it looks as though Len is on track to be fully recovered and available for the start of the regular season.
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 12
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 4
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 3
- PBT Extra: Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan matchup key part of Clippers vs. Rockets 2
- Stephen Curry wins MVP with 100 of 130 first-place votes, but James Harden closest second place in four years 20
- PBT Second Round Playoff Preview: Los Angeles Clippers vs. Houston Rockets 10
- Ginobili, Duncan, Popovich dance around questions about Spurs’ future 12