Aug 15, 2013, 7:51 PM EST
But the union needs new and experienced leadership during a transitionary phase that will see the Players Association add both a new president and a new executive director to the fold in the coming months.
Roger Mason Jr. announced his candidacy officially on Thursday, and despite the fact that he’s not exactly a household name from a basketball standpoint, he may be the most qualified man for the job.
Roger Mason Jr., presented his case for president of the National Basketball Players Association.
- Experience – he’s been involved with NBPA for 10 years, most recently as a vice president on the executive committee.
- Political ties – Mason said he is just as comfortable talking to NBA Commissioner David Stern and Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver, who takes over for Stern on Feb. 1., as he is with stars such as LeBron James as he is with role players and bench warmers.
“What the NBPA needs is someone who is a representative of the majority of our players –somebody who understands where we’ve been, where we are now and where we need to go and I can humbly say that’s me,” Mason told USA TODAY Sports …
The reason Mason is a good choice, aside from the characteristics outlined above, is that he’s an under-the-radar player who doesn’t have commitments beyond those basic to being on an NBA roster. Unlike LeBron, he has the time to put into this, and has shown over the past decade that he’s willing to put that effort in to make the union successful.
Mason played in New Orleans last season, and is currently a free agent. He expects to sign somewhere before the season begins.
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 0
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 6
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60