New Sixers coach Brett Brown says he wouldn’t have taken the job without 4 years guaranteed

Aug 15, 2013, 5:09 PM EST

Brett Brown AP

The Sixers are expected to be one of, if not the worst team in the NBA next season, and a quick look up and down the roster tells us that’s not exactly a stretch.

The veterans that remain aren’t guys you can count on for consistent output at either end of the floor, and the rest are rookies or other young players that are continuing to develop. Put together, it’s one of the least talented collection of players the league has seen in recent seasons.

New Sixers head coach Brett Brown was introduced to the media on Wednesday, and he knows all of this as well as anyone. That’s why there was no way he was going to leave the comfort of a tenured position with the San Antonio Spurs — one of the league’s best-run franchises — to take on a project of this magnitude without a guarantee he’d have enough time to turn things around.

From Jason Wolf of The News Journal (via SLAM):

“I was not going to take the job without the four years [guaranteed],” Brown said about his contract. “And I am extremely grateful to the owners where they took a step back, and I think it’s a tremendous reflection of what they truly think, too. It’s going to take time. They really do have a tolerance. There is a patience. And as much as it was security for myself, I felt like they made a statement to the marketplace that they’re for real. They really do see this being a long haul-type of position. But it was vital to my decision and I’m thrilled that they allowed me to have that duration.”

Low expectations are understandable in Philadelphia, especially in this first season under Brown. But the challenges ahead are monumental, and whether or not he makes it the full four years has as much to do with the performance of the front office as it does with how he manages during his first couple of years as an NBA head coach.

It’s extremely difficult to build a winning culture and one of “doing things the right way” almost completely from scratch, especially when the losses are piling up and the young players are feeling frustrated at the lack of tangible results.

It’s tough to keep the locker room engaged in those situations, and that will be Brown’s biggest challenge as he undertakes this project — getting his team’s consistent buy-in to what he’s teaching, while keeping the players focused on the bigger picture.

1. 700levelvet - Aug 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM

As if we expect anything from you…The owner is a business man, nothing more…just make the first round of the playoffs and you get 4 years…I miss Harold Katz

• sasquash20 - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

F KATZ! Yeah he won a title but he tore that team apart and they really have never been close to that level since.

2. rickyspanish - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM

When I read the title, I thought “this guy is a jerk”. When I read the article, I thought “this guy is smart”. I hope it works out for him.

• beagle11 - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Especially with the face he is making in the picture!

• wbramh - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Who wouldn’t make that face if they knew they had to coach the Sixers for the next 4 years?

3. areyesrn - Aug 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

gotta love Coach Brown

4. mungman69 - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Gonna be a long cold winter in Philly. Maybe two winters.

• wbramh - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Or 3 winters, assuming they’re still called the 76ers at that time.

5. eatitfanboy - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Two potential picks in the top 6 plus Nerlens Noel getting healthy. That means they could go into next season with 3 rookie lottery picks in their starting lineup or at least in their rotation. Not a championship or necessarily even playoff contender, but certainly a team with a potentially very bright future.

• eatitfanboy - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Before you attack, I realize Noel won’t technically be a rookie next season. But if they don’t play him this year, he will be in reality.

• whodat82 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM

He’s supposed to be on the court by January.

• sasquash20 - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM

No way the Pelicans are that bad this year. Stop with the 6th pick nonsense.

• eatitfanboy - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Glad your crystal ball is working. Mine’s broken.

• sasquash20 - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM

They also owe Miami and Orlando each a first rd pick (lotto protected). So if the Pelicans make the playoffs do you give that pick to either Miami or Orlando?

• wbramh - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Probably, but I think the plan is to move the team to North Jersey and rename them the Jersey Shores or the Jersey Springsteens. I think management is smart enough to know they need to build a contender (maybe not smart enough to know how) but also ruthless enough to pull up stakes in order to attract a new fan base since most of us in this town are tired of the endless and ever-worsening train wreck.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches