Aug 15, 2013, 10:14 PM EST
After firing Mike Brown as head coach just five games into last season, the Lakers had conversations with Phil Jackson that led him to believe the job was his to accept.
Things changed abruptly, however, as Mike D’Antoni was hired for the gig while Jackson was deliberating over the situation.
It led to Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak having to make an awkward late night phone call to Jackson explaining to him what had happened, and obviously, the organization came away looking a bit like it didn’t know what direction the team truly wanted to take in light of the way things transpired.
“There was really no other way to get around it. In this business you don’t make announcements until you have signed contracts,” Kupchak said. “The last thing we wanted was for Phil Jackson, who we love in the organization, the city loves him, to wake in the morning or to get a phone call from somebody at 4 or 5 in the morning saying, ‘Guess what? Didn’t Mitch tell you?'”
“Really there was no other way to do it, and you could say it was clumsy,” Kupchak said.
The Lakers, for the first time in decades, seem to be undergoing an image rehabilitation process.
Jim and Jeanie Buss gave a lengthy interview for a profile of the Lakers front office this week, and now Kupchak — with nothing to gain really, considering these are the deadest of dead days in terms of the NBA news cycle — goes on national radio to discuss transgressions that are more than nine months in the past.
While the admission that things could have gone more smoothly is appreciated, what most Lakers fans would probably like to see is the senior members of the organization focusing on the future, as opposed to continuing to dissect the failures of the recent past.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 3
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 30
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 48
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28