Aug 15, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
New York is reportedly looking to add one more guy to the roster — a veteran backup big who isn’t going to play much but can add some depth to the front line. New York is going to try out Jeremy Taylor for that role even though he is a young player (he has a two-year contract and is expected to make the roster, but neither year is guaranteed).
Earl Barron could return to the Knicks and get that spot.
The 7’0” center with seven years in the NBA has five training camp invites but he wants to be with the Knicks because he thinks he can stick on that roster, reports Jared Zwerling at ESPNNewYork.com.
“He wants to be back in New York. There has been a lot of interest, and that’s with them and with them to us,” the source said. “I think it’s just going to be one of those wait situations, where I think the signing of Jeremy Tyler didn’t really knock [Barron] out of it, but it slowed the process up for him for sure.”
“But Earl wants to be a Knick. He’s waiting for the Knicks to pull the trigger. He thinks that the Knicks will have a chance to win a championship, and he wants to be a part of it.”
Barron is a guy on the fringes of the NBA, having played in 124 games in seven seasons, the majority of those with the Heat (he has a ring from 2006) but he has had a couple stints in New York, including last year.
New York has 14 guys on the roster (counting Taylor and C.J. Leslie, who also has a non-guaranteed deal but is expected to make the team). Some teams like to leave that last roster spot empty, giving them room for trades, but the Knicks seem to be considering Barron for a non-guaranteed spot.
He would provide some depth to the front line, but with a payroll of $86.3 million now even adding a minimum deal will come with a big tax hit. The question is do the Knicks think Barron is worth that.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48