Aug 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
It took a while to figure it out, but the Timberwolves had re-sign Nikola Pekovic — the big man provides the traditional post presence at both ends of the court the team needs to allow Kevin Love to do his thing.
But the new five-year, $60 million deal leads to this question: Can the smaller market Timberwolves afford the coming extension for Ricky Rubio next summer then have the money for a new max deal for Love the season after that?
Minnesota decision maker Flip Saunders says not to worry.
See, nothing to worry about. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Everything is just fine.
Rubio will sign an extension.
Saunders was brought in to repair the organization’s relationship with Love, which was not that great during the David Kahn era. So far so good on that, although what will really matter is how the team performs on the court the next couple seasons — does Love see them as a potential contender then or will the grass be greener somewhere else? If the relationship is not being repaired, Minnesota will be in a tough spot because they will not want to trade him.
But that’s down the line. If Minnesota’s key players can stay healthy this season, and with the addition of floor-spacing Kevin Martin, this is a potentially very good team. Certainly a playoff team, and when teams are winning a lot of other stuff seems to magically sort itself out.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4