Aug 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
It took a while to figure it out, but the Timberwolves had re-sign Nikola Pekovic — the big man provides the traditional post presence at both ends of the court the team needs to allow Kevin Love to do his thing.
But the new five-year, $60 million deal leads to this question: Can the smaller market Timberwolves afford the coming extension for Ricky Rubio next summer then have the money for a new max deal for Love the season after that?
Minnesota decision maker Flip Saunders says not to worry.
See, nothing to worry about. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Everything is just fine.
Rubio will sign an extension.
Saunders was brought in to repair the organization’s relationship with Love, which was not that great during the David Kahn era. So far so good on that, although what will really matter is how the team performs on the court the next couple seasons — does Love see them as a potential contender then or will the grass be greener somewhere else? If the relationship is not being repaired, Minnesota will be in a tough spot because they will not want to trade him.
But that’s down the line. If Minnesota’s key players can stay healthy this season, and with the addition of floor-spacing Kevin Martin, this is a potentially very good team. Certainly a playoff team, and when teams are winning a lot of other stuff seems to magically sort itself out.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11